Underwater Poker Run December 18, 2004

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry to hear you can't make it Ken. We have a few divers till so we will be able to help people out without buddies.

Alan K. ( AKA Texdiveguy)
Keenan L.

Tracy H. ( with one or two people diving also) , could possibly have a spare buddyless diver

Ted G. (buddyless)

Randy C. (buddyless)

Timeliner ( buddyless)

Skeet ( buddyless)

and then whoever else makes it that we don't know about because it is also being advertised through Clear Springs Scuba Park. There is always me to help out with a buddyless diver. Troy and I went to Sam's Club last night and bought hot dogs, buns, condiments, Little Debbie cakes, and water for the Diver's Day Out. Weather looks good and we are ready to dive! :dazzler1:

I already have goose bumps and have not yet got in the water today--EEK!

Well I finally made it home, ate and rested a bit and thought I better add a note about the Poker Run before I get into bed. It was GREAT!!!!! I FINALLY had the best dive ever in my drysuit. After 30 plus dives and several types of undergarments tested I have finally found the perfect combination of suit and clothes to wear. T- Shirt and underwear, no socks. I am thrilled and who knew not spending any money at all would make me so happy in a dry suit. This is the first reason i loved the Poker run so much. Now for the rest..... The weather was perfect, hardly any wind, lots of sun, and great visibility. Well we all mucked up the vis a bit after we got started but before that it was great! We set up the course between 2 platforms, the boat and the deep water platform. Just about everyone found all four stations and then we had the fifth station on land. We ended up with five official buddy teams, and a few extra surface support and non participators who still enjoyed a few dives. 14 Total people showed. Our best turnout yet. One guy had a 3 mm on and I know of at least two dives he did. Everyone else was in a variation of semi-dry, 7MM, and dry suits. Water temp was about 55 degrees. We ate all the hot dogs, chips and Christmas Tree Little Debbie cakes. Heck there were still 4 people diving when I left at 4PM! Troopers one and all. I took photos and will post them shortly. Thanks to all who participated! We are busy discussing and planning the January outing. Stay Tuned!!!

Yea what a blast this day was,,,,great cold water diving.....my dive buddy Keenan and I made our poker chip collection dive in about 40 minutes,,,,,we recorded 53f at 53ft. Our next 2 dives were shorter only lasting 16 minutes each,,,,,one of which we went and collected the dive stations game chips. Several from this board were out in style and diving wonderfully! Thanks to Surface Interval Scuba for hosting the event,,,,they do a divers day out event most every month.

Really Hot Dives !!
I was thrilled with the 6.5mil Mares Semi-Dry Suit. I never would have thought that diving in 53F water could be so comfortable. The fact is, I'm much colder during the Summer out there at CSSP in my 3-2 wetsuit. I had a bit of the expected bouyancy control issues getting used to the different setup but over all I think after a couple of more dives those would be ancient history. The visibility was excellent. I thought the water actually looked a bit blue at times which is strange as it is usually so green. Yea, we mucked it up a bit too getting used to the suits but since there were only 14 of us in the whole lake what the heck. It was cool to see some of the folks I already knew and meet some new ones! Thanks to Surface Interval Scuba for putting on the event !!

I had to leave right after doing a quick weight check dive. Bummer of being on call.

Here's a few pics I got of Timeliner, Skeet and his buddy ( Mr. I'm wearing a 3mm and don't need no stinking hood!!!) Glad y'all had fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom