Understanding DS Undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a set of the dry gloves with wrist seals. Nice gloves, but a lot of my dives are solo and I have yet to work out a decent way to get the second glove on so that it seals properly.

DW

Neoprene wrist seal could be an issue. You must get those gloves and your wrist seals seal together. Latex on latex works best, silicone seals are ok too. Anyway, if you had rings for silicone wrist seals, you would get a glove ring system anyway.
I see people using that kind of gloves mostly with traditional latex wrist seals.

I do not have latex seals or any ring system, just neoprene wrists. These may not work afterall...

I have a set of the dry gloves with wrist seals. Nice gloves, but a lot of my dives are solo and I have yet to work out a decent way to get the second glove on so that it seals properly.

DW

I do dive a little solo...wife watches bubbles. I came to the conclusion Sunday there is no feasible way for me to don my drysuit solo....that zipper, even if I did have some sort of tool, scares me to close without seeing. So while I may have help to get the gloves on, I'm thinking they may not work

@rob.mwpropane With help, you could probably put them on and get the glove seals tucked underneath the suit wrists. I would think that would seal up just fine. But, it's just a thought. I have never tried anything like that.

I really like my neoprene suit with neoprene seals. But, for 40F water, I would be using my trilam that has dry glove rings...

@rob.mwpropane With help, you could probably put them on and get the glove seals tucked underneath the suit wrists. I would think that would seal up just fine. But, it's just a thought. I have never tried anything like that.

I really like my neoprene suit with neoprene seals. But, for 40F water, I would be using my trilam that has dry glove rings...

I've thought about this a lot, the Kubi system, and the Ultima system. It's such a pain learning all the "in's and out's" of all the different systems. I just think the gloves with wrist seals would be a pain. At some point I will wish I just spent the money on a better system and then I'm back to zero.

If I get the Si tech PU rings for the oval system and glue them in I can get the Ultima system and they'll clip in. I can get just the PU rings for less than $20.

Does anyone know the PU ring outer circumference? If I went this route it would have to match up with the inside dimensions of my neoprene ds. Looking at videos doesn't look hard at all. Some prep, some coats, patience. slip it in and done....

I would send it away to somewhere like DRiS to get done, but my suit is heavy, shipping + labor would be a pretty penny, plus I need to still buy the Ultima system on top of all that.

Do the Ultima rings take any wrist seal? Or does it have to be something special?

Bringing up my few months old thread because I wanted to extend the conversation.

Went diving yesterday for the 1st time without a heavy undergarment, holy moly was that awesome. I had so much mobility I felt like a contortionist underwater! No issues reaching for anything. It was amazing. I can't wait to dive the SLR or maybe a spring somewhere in 55f-70f water.

So now I'm again looking for undergarments for a 5mm compressed neoprene drysuit, with the idea of warmth AND mobility in mind.

It's funny, I stated diving and said I'll never need a drysuit, got a drysuit....said who needs dry gloves?, then installed dry gloves. I said "why can't you just hold it, why have a P valve?".....ordered a P valve and catheters, lol. Now I said why would you want to spend gobs of money on undergarments....who cares about mobility?.... Well I'm the guy in the back of the classroom raising my hand, saying "I do", lol. I want my mobility when it's cold!!

Any suggestions on something that might be expensive but thin and warm?

So far I'm thinking of these;
Fourth Element X core vest (with something underneath?)
Fourth Element Xerotherm 2 piece

I'm open to suggestions. Yesterday I felt great the entire dive with just a seaskin base layer in 60f.

Thanks!!

When I dive my thick drysuit, black ice, I only use a heavy wool base and a pull over waffle fleece, heavy wool socks and am very warm. I have also used the waterproof 3D top alone with the wool pants, also warm. With my 3 mil Seaskin I use the wool base and the 3D pants and top and am warmer than the same combo with the shell suit that I used yesterday. Fleece takes a set and becomes less warm over time, the 3D has been consistent for the past year.

When I dive my thick drysuit, black ice, I only use a heavy wool base and a pull over waffle fleece, heavy wool socks and am very warm. I have also used the waterproof 3D top alone with the wool pants, also warm. With my 3 mil Seaskin I use the wool base and the 3D pants and top and am warmer than the same combo with the shell suit that I used yesterday. Fleece takes a set and becomes less warm over time, the 3D has been consistent for the past year.

Is that a neo suit? Can you define "thick wool", and what is a "waffle fleece"? (I googled it, but I just get fleece tops with zippers?).

I do wear heavy wool socks and feel pretty good there.

Is that a neo suit? Can you define "thick wool", and what is a "waffle fleece"? (I googled it, but I just get fleece tops with zippers?).

I do wear heavy wool socks and feel pretty good there.
Here are some pics, I think all from amazon, with the merino wool get the expedition weight
71BDD252-38E7-4503-B744-2BED2FBAF168.jpeg

this is what the inside of the waffle fleece looks like
2400D7F9-7478-487F-A3A1-535BF677877C.jpeg
EAB5C3ED-19FB-400D-A210-9B2A717FD700.jpeg

The wool is not cheap but worth it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom