Understanding DS Undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the material is the same, you can compare gsm. If the materials are different, well, you're on your own.

I agree, but if you had gsm, thickness, and a thermal rating you could compare different materials...right?

if you had gsm, thickness, and a thermal rating you could compare different materials...right?
Theoretically, sure. In practice, perhaps not so much.

I prefer comparing wool to wool, Thinsulate to Thinsulate and whatever-your-fiber to whatever-your-fiber. Because thermal ratings aren't easily available, and thermal ratings don't vary very much between garments of the same type.

The great thing with wool is its insulation ability when damp or wet. It's a killer base layer, but far from ideal as a middle layer. You want a "dry" base layer and maximum gas holding capability from your middle layer. A wool base layer and a synthetic middle layer is close to ideal.
It is a killer base but also works great as the only layer in a compressed neoprene suit most of the time.

It is a killer base but also works great as the only layer in a compressed neoprene suit most of the time.

I think that's where I'll end up. FE Arctic for colder diving and marino wool ~ 200-250gsm for cool water diving (~48f-60f). Right now I feel pretty good down to 60f in the neo suit with just a compression base layer on.

If it's really cold I guess I could add both together and it should still be fairly comfortable....I hope anyway.

Yep. My first drysuit was a compressed neoprene suit. My preferred undergarment was Aclima's woolnet. Still is, and it's still my preferred base layer underneath a proper (synthetic) undersuit now that I've switched to a shell suit. I've had a few serious DS floodings, and I want to believe that it was my woolnet base layer which kept me decently warm.

I think that's where I'll end up. FE Arctic for colder diving and marino wool ~ 200-250gsm for cool water diving (~48f-60f). Right now I feel pretty good down to 60f in the neo suit with just a compression base layer on.

If it's really cold I guess I could add both together and it should still be fairly comfortable....I hope anyway.
Back when my DS was pretty snug-fitting, I experimented quite a bit, e.g. with pieces of sleeping mats stuck under my braces/suspenders towards my stomach/chest. These days, I just add another undergarment under my undersuit. My preferred brand for the layer between the Aclima Woolnet undergarments and the synthetic fiber undersuit is Woolpower from Sweden. The 200 gsm garments. Crewneck, not turtle neck.

Do you think the FE arctic is a good set? My neo suit is a little snug, so I need all the room I can get.

That's awesome you experimented like that. My first few dives were with pajamas and fleece on...comical because some were my wife's clothes

Do you think the FE arctic is a good set?
Can't say. Haven't any experience with it. I prefer talking only about gear I have first hand experience with.

But if it's good quality wool, preferably Merino, it's probably good.

But look at Aclima and Woolpower and how they make their products. It's either net or terry. You'll want a lot of air and as little garment as possible against your skin.

Can't say. Haven't any experience with it. I prefer talking only about gear I have first hand experience with.

But if it's good quality wool, preferably Merino, it's probably good.

FE garments are all fleece.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom