Understanding DS Undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone here have any experience with this as a base layer?

Ultrawarmth base layers - BARE Wetsuits and Drysuits

I have a 150g SeaSkin thinsulate jumpsuit I want to give a boost to. I have thin merino wool undergarments I wear skiing, but as I said I am looking for a bit of a boost.

What type of suit do you have now?

Sorry I don't have any experience, but I've heard good things.

What type of suit do you have now?

Sorry I don't have any experience, but I've heard good things.
I have a SeaSkin Nova - trilam.

Good merino is expensive material, and lesser known brands often still cost quite a lot. I use 80/20 merino/polyester undergarments sold by a local army surplus/military/outdoor store under their own brand. I use the 180 gr version as next to skin under a Santi400bz or weezle with a trilaminate suit. The added 20% of polyester makes it much more durable without compromising performance. I have owned Smartwools and other well known brands. Quality wise these at least as good. You should find something similar closer to you, but if you don't, the place I am using offers $9.99 flat rate shipping to the US...
Särmä TST L1 Long Sleeve Shirt, Merino Wool
This is interesting stuff. Does anyone know if it's available in the US (is there a similar brand for sale on amazon?)

I have a SeaSkin Nova - trilam.

I have neoprene so quite different, but I think anything you buy designed for diving (even though more expensive) would work just fine.

This is interesting stuff. Does anyone know if it's available in the US (is there a similar brand for sale on amazon?)

I think it looks interesting also. I can't find anything that thick that cheap in the states. I'd be willing to give it a shot depending how my undersuit fits.

Does anyone here have any experience with this as a base layer?

Ultrawarmth base layers - BARE Wetsuits and Drysuits

I have a 150g SeaSkin thinsulate jumpsuit I want to give a boost to. I have thin merino wool undergarments I wear skiing, but as I said I am looking for a bit of a boost.

I have a set of the Bare Ultrawarmth undies. And a Seaskin 150.

This past Saturday, I was diving in my new Seaskin Ultra (compressed neoprene) drysuit, trying it out for the first time. I wore the Seaskin Tech base layer all day. The water was 50F.

On the first dive, I wore a long-sleeve Merino (Smartwool) shirt and leggings that I got from REI. I'm not sure what the weigh on it is. The tag doesn't say. I'd probably classify it as "light weight".

After the first dive (35 minutes), I was COLD. Not shivering or getting numb anywhere. Just cold.

I took off the suit and the Smartwool stuff and started to put on the Bare UW stuff. I have never used the Bare stuff before. Only tried it on when I first received it. When I started putting it on, I realized the shirt was not as thick as I was thinking it was. Compared to the SW stuff, I'd class the Bare as "medium weight". I decided I was too cold and the UW stuff wasn't going to cut the mustard, so I took it back off and put on my Seaskin 150. The second dive was also about 35 minutes and I was comfortable the whole. Just cold hands (with 3mm wet gloves on).

So, to directly address your issue, I think the Bare stuff would be a boost from thin Merino. But, you *might* do just as well to get some heavier Merino. Also, it's been a while since I've seen it in person, so my memory could be off. I think the Fourth Element Xerotherm is very similar to the Bare Ultrawarmth, but maybe just a little thicker/heavier. But, don't hold me to that! My memory was off on the Bare stuff and I own that and got it a lot more recently than I looked at the Xerotherm.

Good merino is expensive material, and lesser known brands often still cost quite a lot. I use 80/20 merino/polyester undergarments sold by a local army surplus/military/outdoor store under their own brand. I use the 180 gr version as next to skin under a Santi400bz or weezle with a trilaminate suit. The added 20% of polyester makes it much more durable without compromising performance. I have owned Smartwools and other well known brands. Quality wise these at least as good. You should find something similar closer to you, but if you don't, the place I am using offers $9.99 flat rate shipping to the US...
Särmä TST L1 Long Sleeve Shirt, Merino Wool

Still bouncing around ideas what to get. I received my 100g undersuit yesterday. It's a perfect fit, but I don't think it's going to 100% do the trick for warmth.

Going to the store linked (thanks to @taimen) I found coupons for an extra 10% off. Use code "ALASKA10"
https://www..com/en/group/undergarments/1070

Just for reference 250g top / bottom set after discount and with shipping is $105. This is about $15-$20 cheaper than I can find anywhere else (amazon and smartwool websites were about $120 / set). 180g set is ~ $77 shipped.

@Varusteleka they have 2 different merino wool base layers, but the 250g is a turtleneck. Can anybody comment on if that would be ok or not?
3434958ef870ac0b77.jpg

As far as merino wool goes, REI is supposed to have anniversary sale in May, items up to 30% off. That would bring an undergarment set to ~ $140+ tax.

Just figured I'd share my findings along the way. I know it's silly to squabble over $20-$30-$60, it's just a thing I do. It adds up (but sometimes it takes a stupid amount of time to sift through:)) In the end at least I feel like I've made an educated guess on whatever it is, and I don't feel "got".

Just for reference 250g top / bottom set after discount and with shipping is $105. This is about $15-$20 cheaper than I can find anywhere else (amazon and smartwool websites were about $120 / set). 180g set is ~ $77 shipped.

Remember possible duties and taxes. Although it seems that small private online orders from EU to US seem to get through without extra fees.

@Varusteleka they have 2 different merino wool base layers, but the 250g is a turtleneck. Can anybody comment on if that would be ok or not?

I use the 180g set as my diving base layer. It is great for that purpose. 100% merino does not hold up as well, performance is equal to samrtwool with similar thickness. The turtleneck and zipper can interfere with your drysuit neck seal. I have another turtleneck wool (Zip Turtleneck 400 to be exact) and that is ok with my drysuit, but turtleneck is anyways something you should try on with drysuit.
I believe in layering, and thus like to use a thinner base layer and more insulating layers.

Remember possible duties and taxes. Although it seems that small private online orders from EU to US seem to get through without extra fees.

I use the 180g set as my diving base layer. It is great for that purpose. 100% merino does not hold up as well, performance is equal to samrtwool with similar thickness. The turtleneck and zipper can interfere with your drysuit neck seal. I have another turtleneck wool (Zip Turtleneck 400 to be exact) and that is ok with my drysuit, but turtleneck is anyways something you should try on with drysuit.
I believe in layering, and thus like to use a thinner base layer and more insulating layers.

Appreciate the feedback. Although it's not in stone on their website it does say any order to the US are good through customs as long as less than $800.

My only issue with wanting to go with a thicker weight is because I'm only diving with the 100g undersuit. If it wasn't a turtleneck I would of probably just got it at some point anyway.

I don't plan on doing anything until I actually dive what I have 1st...

A 100gsm suit with a 250gsm base layer sounds like 350gsm, which sounds like a lot!

A 100gsm suit with a 250gsm base layer sounds like 350gsm, which sounds like a lot!

Sooo......is a lot good?!?o_O:confused:

I know no one can give me an answer because it's all so personal. Hopefully I can dive what I have this Sunday and go from there.

I need to get some type of base layer between me and the undersuit, and I guess my next dive will dictate weather it's underarmor, 180gsm, or 250gsm.

Fwiw, I like to be on the warmer side, so it'll be interesting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom