Understanding DS Undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a few different merino base layers. I mostly use the Smartwool as I feel its warmer and better quality. Just expensive. I use the 250 gram base layers. I also have some generic forget the brand name stuff that was a lot more cost friendly but no where near as warm. For warmer weather I'll use the REI stuff. REI claims it is a 150gm layer, its thinner and less warm than the Smartwool 150gm layer I have. Over the merino base I use a Santi 200gm or 400gm, depending on temps.

I have a few different merino base layers. I mostly use the Smartwool as I feel its warmer and better quality. Just expensive. I use the 250 gram base layers. I also have some generic forget the brand name stuff that was a lot more cost friendly but no where near as warm. For warmer weather I'll use the REI stuff. REI claims it is a 150gm layer, its thinner and less warm than the Smartwool 150gm layer I have. Over the merino base I use a Santi 200gm or 400gm, depending on temps.

What type of suit?

Santi E lite. Its as trilam so doesnt offer much in the way of additional warmth.

Thanks, I have a 5mm neoprene. I know it's not really worth it to compare undergarments between people, but it's still nice to get people's experiences.

Sheds at least a candles worth in a dark room.

Just wanted to follow up. Went diving on Sunday. 40f outside 38f at the bottom. It was snowing when I was climbing down the ladder...my wife thought I was insane:)

100g undergarment was pretty good, much better than I expected. I lasted 50 min. The worst part was without a doubt my hands in 5mm wet gloves.

I wore a rash guard under the 100g in case I sweat I didn't want to get the 100g all nasty, but that really wasn't an issue. I still need something to take place of the rash guard, but all in all it was good. And this is coming from someone who chills easily.

By 50 min I was chilled, but was more comfortable than I expected to be in 38f. Next step when I find that money tree is to slap some dry gloves on.

There are also dry gloves that are made to work with/over a wetsuit. One of my buddies here has some that he uses with his wetsuit. I think they're basically just a rubber glove with a wrist seal attached to the glove itself.

I don't know the brand, though. Let me know if you want me to get more info. Probably somebody else here will know and post...

There are also dry gloves that are made to work with/over a wetsuit. One of my buddies here has some that he uses with his wetsuit. I think they're basically just a rubber glove with a wrist seal attached to the glove itself.

I don't know the brand, though. Let me know if you want me to get more info. Probably somebody else here will know and post...

Are you referring to these?
Drygloves with Seal

I was thinking of making or picking up a pair. I haven't got around to it yet.

If I make a pair, at least I'd gain some experience so I can do my own wrist seals.

Does anyone know how to wear those? Under or over the suit?

Does anyone know how to wear those? Under or over the suit?

You don these over your drysuit wrist seals (usually with another diver assisting). Leave your underglove sleeve under the seals to allow equalization.

You don these over your drysuit wrist seals (usually with another diver assisting). Leave your underglove sleeve under the seals to allow equalization.

Thanks!
Would that matter if it's a neoprene ds?

Would that matter if it's a neoprene ds?

Neoprene wrist seal could be an issue. You must get those gloves and your wrist seals seal together. Latex on latex works best, silicone seals are ok too. Anyway, if you had rings for silicone wrist seals, you would get a glove ring system anyway.
I see people using that kind of gloves mostly with traditional latex wrist seals.

Back
Top Bottom