Undergarments and temperature ratings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akivisuals

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey all, I've been doing some searches on the boards to try to find what kind of undergarments might be appropriate to wear for my local SoCal diving. I just bought a used DUI CF200x and need to have some alterations done on it to open up the midsection a bit. I guess my belly is a wee bit bigger than the guy who owned it before me... Otherwise the suit it almost a perfect fit. That said, I've only tried it on with some undergarments that I thought might be appropriate for local waters but I'm not entirely sure how much I'd need to wear since I haven't taken it underwater yet (need to do some pool work first and get seals fixed).

The coldest dives I'm probably going to do are in the low 50s. I dove San Diego's wreck alley last spring and was pretty cold at 55 degrees in my 7mm Bare Arctic with a 5/3 hooded vest underneath that. I was able to do all 3 dives that day but they were relatively short (around 25-28 min). I might also do some diving in the Monterey area in the future so I'm guessing I'll see temps in the low 50s there.

What I've purchased so far is some expedition weight polarfleece base layer bottoms, a matching expedition weight polarfleece crewneck, a Marmot stretch fleece zip jacket, some powerstretch fleece gloves (for under the dry gloves), some thick Smartwool hiking socks. I also have some polypropylene lightweight underwear that I use for snowboarding that I can wear under that stuff as well as a Lavacore zip tee that I can use as a baselayer. Initially, I was considering picking up a Dive Rite Primaloft one piece undergarment but think that because of it's bulk I wouldn't be able to fit it under the drysuit. For my temperature needs what would you think would work? I tend to be fine in my 7mm + 5/3 hooded vest down to around the low 60s as a reference point.

With all that fleece and in that temperature range I would say you'll probably be fine. The only real way to be sure though is to get out and dive it, as everyone's physiology is a bit different.

I am in the Puget Sound in Washington, dive year round, and in the winters here the water can be as cold as in the high 30's, usually low 40's. For me, in the winter I wear smartwool undergarments with the Fourth Element Arctic undersuit over that as well. In the summer I forgo the smartwool. I've never had anything get cold except my toes and fingers with this setup.

I am in the Puget Sound in Washington, dive year round, and in the winters here the water can be as cold as in the high 30's, usually low 40's.
Just curious what kind of drysuit you are wearing, neoprene, trilam?

Thanks apostle! I plan on getting in the water with it to do some practice and testing as soon as it comes back from Superior.

Back
Top Bottom