Question about the convenience zip option on a drysuit and compatible undergarment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aerobics111

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Edit: male

So I ordered a drysuit with the convenience zip option like the 1st picture below, so that I don't have to take off all the seals to go to the restroom between dives. The undergarment I ordered together looks like the 2nd picture.
After trying it on, the undergarment zip doesn't open down far enough and the bottom end of the zip is still some distance higher than the convenience zip. As a result, I simply cannot use it...

Does anyone here have a convenience zip on your suit and what type of undergarment do you wear? I'm thinking either a two piece, or a one piece that has a separate pee hole, or a one piece that its zip opens further down.
1674574322994.png

1674574401023.png

Are you male or female? In the female case I assume there’s extra tubing involved, She-P-like, and I couldn’t say. Otherwise I’d say I had a suit with a convenience zip previously and a similar looking undergarment. To be sure it took some wriggling, tugging, and squirming to make it work… the undergarment zip looks like it goes almost to the crotch though, so I’m not sure how to improve that part.

Go for a pee-valve, so much easier and is always ready to use, no need to get out of the water to use it.

Take a picture of the drysuit laid out on the ground with the undergarment next to it. You say there is a mismatch, but it is hard to understand exactly what you are describing.

A close up of the relief zipper doesn't say anything about where it is actually installed. Most undergarment zippers are 2-way, you can make an opening from the bottom up. Are you trying that or trying to unzip from the top?

Get a pee valve installed... these zips are gimmicks meant to hurt your member.

I have a convenience zipper on my Seaskin Ultra, and find it pretty much impossible to use. With just a base layer & undershorts it's a struggle, even when everything aligns perfectly I need more reach. I have used the zipper for easy access to the p-valve plumbing when rinsing.

Fortunately the LM unbalanced p-valve works perfectly so I always use that. I was advised against the convenience zipper here on SB when I ordered the suit last year. But I had to learn for myself, no harm done, it's a cheap option.

I have one on my rear loading neoprene commercial suit, but only because the job entails a lot of standing or sitting around topside for hours on end, particularly if you’re standby diver. For this I use two-piece thinnish thermals so I can can easily fish the little fella out. However, a few mickey dribbles are inevitable.

You will need to beeswax this zip religiously, as it’s very prone to ceasing.

For recreational or tech, I’m in a front loading trilam with a pee valve and FE one-piece Artic. If I need a pee topside, I’ll unzip the drysuit front and the bottom zipper and undo the telescopic crotch strap. A bit of leanings and stretching is required, but it’s doable.

Thank you all. I tried again tonight in my garage and I was able to get it out but I agree with everyone here that it's an unpleasant experience lol.

Thank you all. I tried again tonight in my garage and I was able to get it out but I agree with everyone here that it's an unpleasant experience lol.
Time to buy a pee valve and have it installed. Unfortunately you just learned a lesson that could have been cheaper with Seaskin installing it for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom