Undergarment sugestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kwbyron

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My current undergarment, a 400 weight Atlan, is a little too short, inhibiting my range of motion... I want to replace it, but if I am going to spend 2-300 dollars, I'd rather put it towards regulators... I have heard going to REI and getting thinsolate underwear, which seems like a good idea, but I am not really sure what to buy. Has anyone else done this? I am in the Pacific North West, so dive temps are 47-55 degrees. What do ya'll dive with?

Kwbyron:
My current undergarment, a 400 weight Atlan, is a little too short, inhibiting my range of motion...

The most cost effective sollution would be to modify the undergarment you have. Get someone to cut open a seam and sew in a pannel.

As for using non-diveware undergarments try loojing at places that sell to snowmobilers. The water here in calif is warmer 200wt polarteck works for me

Look into a hunting/hiking facility store for a 2-piece undergarment...offers more range of motion at less cost than drysuit manf. want for a similar product.

I am not sure if non-dive oriented thinsulate works very well.. Another big factor you should consider when the drysuit is flooded. Your undi should keep you warm...

I never tried it though, the customers are wise enough to pick up the undi from the diving manufactures :wink:

hoosier:
I am not sure if non-dive oriented thinsulate works very well.. Another big factor you should consider when the drysuit is flooded. Your undi should keep you warm...

I never tried it though, the customers are wise enough to pick up the undi from the diving manufactures :wink:

Non dive company products work extremly well....most materials that one would select in an undi for drysuits will keep you warm to a point even when wet......if your drysuit is trulley 'flooded' you have other more important issues to concern yourself with outside of warmth!! :eyebrow:

thanks for the tips...I am thinking of that 200 with some thermal underware would work, since the water temp is on average 50....it's hard for me to get stuff that fits, I'm 6' 4" 250lbs...everything is sized up to 6'3" My other thought was thermals with some tighter fitting fleece over it, I have some fleece pj pants that are nice and warm : ) If I did this I wouldn't have to worry about length, but it's hard to find 2-piece dive products that are not top-of-the-line...

texdiveguy:
Non dive company products work extremly well....most materials that one would select in an undi for drysuits will keep you warm to a point even when wet......if your drysuit is trulley 'flooded' you have other more important issues to concern yourself with outside of warmth!! :eyebrow:

Any specific recommendation based on your post?:wink:

I dive 55-60 degF water, and go with polarfleece pants & jacket that I had from backpacking (300 weight jacket, 200 weight pants), and some long underwear. Contrary to conventional wisdom, the two pieces stay together, and I don't get cold around the midsection.

Both my husband and I tried to do it with Polarfleece materials made for purposes other than diving. Although we eventually adopted different solutions, both of us found that the stuff made for diving was different, and better. He bought a DUI fleece undergarment, and I bought Diving Concepts 200g Thinsulate, and we're both pretty happy. Peter's undergarment was about $150 (but it's not the thickest one -- he has a neoprene drysuit). Mine was significantly more than that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom