Question Heated Undergarments... How To Power

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dann-Oh

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am currently diving in my DUI Drysuit with DUI 300g socks, pants, and long sleeve, I primarily dive off the coast of Southern California, USA. If I know its goin to be cold I will also wear merino wool socks (Darn Tough brand) as well as a DUI 300gm vest my coldest temps were mid 50 °F, sometimes I still get cold. I know in the future future of my diving has me traveling to dive Northern California, the Pacific North West (Puget Sound region), and the Great Lakes areas for fun and I also want to get into decompression diving to enjoy some of the local sites around Southern California like Farnsworth Banks, Wreck Alley in San Diego, and some of the deeper wrecks in the LA and Orange County regions. Knowing I want to dive colder regions and deeper/longer locally I am thinking I want to get a heated undergarments. I also know I am going to want a light with better run time than what I'm currently using (single 18650 battery powered light). I was thinking I would get a canister light with a BIG battery, I was looking at something like the OrcaTorch D630 or DiveRite HP50. Looking at these two lights I do not see how I would connect the undergarmets to them.

How do you guys power your heated undergarmets? are you using two batteries, 1 for your light and 1 for your undergarmets? How are you routing your power cord, is the batter inside your drysuit or on the outside?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hey all,

I am currently diving in my DUI Drysuit with DUI 300g socks, pants, and long sleeve, I primarily dive off the coast of Southern California, USA. If I know its goin to be cold I will also wear merino wool socks (Darn Tough brand) as well as a DUI 300gm vest my coldest temps were mid 50 °F, sometimes I still get cold. I know in the future future of my diving has me traveling to dive Northern California, the Pacific North West (Puget Sound region), and the Great Lakes areas for fun and I also want to get into decompression diving to enjoy some of the local sites around Southern California like Farnsworth Banks, Wreck Alley in San Diego, and some of the deeper wrecks in the LA and Orange County regions. Knowing I want to dive colder regions and deeper/longer locally I am thinking I want to get a heated undergarments. I also know I am going to want a light with better run time than what I'm currently using (single 18650 battery powered light). I was thinking I would get a canister light with a BIG battery, I was looking at something like the OrcaTorch D630 or DiveRite HP50. Looking at these two lights I do not see how I would connect the undergarmets to them.

How do you guys power your heated undergarmets? are you using two batteries, 1 for your light and 1 for your undergarmets? How are you routing your power cord, is the batter inside your drysuit or on the outside?

Post 3 has a PDF with a few ideas.

TLDR you’ll want either a canister with two outlets (UWLD stacking caps, LM with a light and an E/O out) or two batteries (UWLD, LM, Fathom, etc), one or both of which having an E/O.

It appears common knowledge that heated vests with sealed batteries (not canister) are more dangerous than diving with split fins

My opinion is that the absolute best option is the UWLD heat controller. You can use it and the LD40 light head at the same time or just one or the other.

The UWLD gives you the ability to run 5 different power levels (20%-100%) and has an LED indicator that shows battery life and what power level you are at.

Ammonite systems is another solid option. I also much prefer the battery on the outside of the suit. If your dives get really big you can even swap underwater to a fresh battery.

We sell both and have outfitted tons of divers. If you have specific questions let me know.

Hey all,

basically what @grantctobin said. The UWLD is by far the best in terms of performance but you do have the controller on your chest. It's the only one that doesn't lose heat output as the battery is used and it gives you the most output options both for light and heat but it's also the most expensive. Stack caps are awesome because with the other options you'll always have that E/O cord dangling and with the UWLD you can remove it whenever you don't want it.
Running the light on high and with a normal sized vest on high you'll probably get about 2hrs with the biggest pack which is not bad at all.

I use a UWLD 160 can with LD-40 light head and UWLD heat controller.

Definitely a buy once, cry once purchase. But, no crying later....

You'll also need something to allow you to pass the power through to the interior of your drysuit.

I use a Si Tech Vega valve. To me, that was another buy once, cry once purchase. Again, no crying later, though...

Two canisters.
One for light - attached to harness.
One for heated vest - wire goes via IP68 connector and DIY cable gland spacer for drysuit inflation valve.
I set heated vest canister to my drysuit right thigh pocket.
Main idea was that you can wear off your entire rig, but your heating west still will be powered.
Very useful on ice dives or cold weather with heavy wind.

I use a UWLD 160 can with LD-40 light head and UWLD heat controller.

Definitely a buy once, cry once purchase. But, no crying later....

You'll also need something to allow you to pass the power through to the interior of your drysuit.

I use a Si Tech Vega valve. To me, that was another buy once, cry once purchase. Again, no crying later, though...
One of the benefits of that is you can watch the battery indicator on the light and know what the status of the battery on the suit without having to check it separately. Goes from green to yellow early, maybe consider turning the light down a level and maybe snip a few minutes off the dive plan.
And never have to keep watch on the heat controller since the same battery indicator is on the light.

Back
Top Bottom