Underarmour Cold Gear under 7mm??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All I know is that the thread itself is a spun synthetic fiber with a hollow core therefore it has an insulating factor that lycra does not. Scuba.com and scubatoys.com have several examples of each. Try on some at your local LDS's. These types of suits are more flexible and stock sizes seem to fit easier than the stock sizes of 7mm wetsuits.

After years in the tropics, I now dive in SoCal. I used to use a lycra skin to shimmy in & out of my 7mm suit but it added no warmth. I switched to a polyolefin skin and was surprised at the difference it made.

If you plan to dive in NJ just go for the drysuit from the beginning. Check out local dive sites and watch what exposure protection most local divers own/wear (other than newbie OW classes in rental gear).

I wish I could go drysuit.....but we all know that drysuits are A LOT more expensive than a 7mm wetsuit.

I'll try to talk to my LDS, about what they suggest, but I do know that they don't carry any dive skins.

9supratt4

You're getting into the season where diving wet is entirely practical so don't feel you NEED a drysuit.

I have also heard that the polyolefin products do add some warmth. The upshot is they do so by trapping water and since there is no tapped gas there is no increase in buoyancy, hence, no added weight to wear!

Another boost you may enjoy is the use of sodium acetate heat packs. that and other wet diving ideas can be read here. Other information about getting into the right suit in the first place is here.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom