under water boat hull cleaning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catfish20:
well i guess you can call me a dumb redneck!!i was asking the question because i had the idea to start doing it on the side and have had trouble finding info on it.so i figured why not try a message board LIKE THIS ONE!! but instead i get called a dumb redneck,so the next time please dont ASSUME anything!!!! WHAT A WARM WELCOM!!

any other help besides MIKE S would be appreciated. thanks.

I think he was calling the divers that would be willing to just jump in and clean a boat hull in a marina the "dumb rednecks," not you. Also, it was said semi-jokingly. Please realize that there is not much there for you to take offense at, and enjoy the boards!

Well like I said, plenty of dumb rednecks around that never think about any of this. :D Welcome to the club Catfish20

I guess we can see that you didn't think about any of this beforehand huh? (yep.. that's what I thought....)

I too once thought this was a pretty good idea many years ago and didn't think about the dangers. Luckily someone told me before I killed myself. Or I could have been in the same category (dumb redneck).

I'd rather you be mad at me for pointing out the dangers of something and alive than dead from not knowing. Why? because you're still alive.

We had a diver killed in a marina here about 2-3 years ago. There was a problem with the electrical work. The person doing the work prob never thought about it. The diver is dead now.

You can do a search on Scubaboard or Google and find the same thing. Divers electrocuted in marinas.

Feel free to ask Gary D about it. He's one of the public saftey divers who recovers the divers bodies from such accidents. It's not a task he enjoys doing.

If you don't like my advice, fine, hop in the water. If nothing else it'll make you check your surroundings and padlock off the power before you get in. Then the worst thing you have to worry about is the sewage in your regulator and not to mention your ears and maybe mouth.

Otherwise, welcome to Scubaboard, we hope to have you around here for a nice long time. I think you'll find most other folks as welcoming here. :D

-Mike

Ew. I hate cleaning a boat hull on land with a hose. And I'd never jump in a marina. Other than the electrical dangers already posted, you've got to remember that most marinas allow people to dump their sewage in the marina. So you'd be swimming in crap. Literally. Plus you have to deal with any litter in the water.

If you know how to weld, then you should lokk into repairing boats underwater. It pays well.(at least what I've heard) But the combination of a torch and pressurized tank seems way too dangerous for me.

well i did'nt really mean to stir up the cur dogs,but mike does not know me or do i know him.he cant see my face and i cant see his,so i dont know what he means by anything .i was just trying to get some info,and i asked very nice.with no smart remarks.excuse me for taking it wrong.:confused:

so next time i ask for some advise ill start out with HEY ALL YOU STUCK UP RICH SCUBA DIVERS HOW BOUT SOME HELP.

and hopefully you'll know im joking and wont take it the wrong way.

i appoligize for any ruffled feathers and so long it was fun for my first 4 posts but ill go else where. thanks for the help mike.

catfish20:
well i did'nt really mean to stir up the cur dogs,but mike does not know me or do i know him.he cant see my face and i cant see his,so i dont know what he means by anything .i was just trying to get some info,and i asked very nice.with no smart remarks.excuse me for taking it wrong.:confused:

so next time i ask for some advise ill start out with HEY ALL YOU STUCK UP RICH SCUBA DIVERS HOW BOUT SOME HELP.

and hopefully you'll know im joking and wont take it the wrong way.

i appoligize for any ruffled feathers and so long it was fun for my first 4 posts but ill go else where. thanks for the help mike.

Please come back and tell me how to suction-cup yourself to the underside
of a boat.

KTHXBYE:D

catfish20:
does anybody know of a company or an indavidual around nashville,TN that will dive down and clean larger boats while they are still docked??i am having trouble finding people to do this around here and there are alot of large boats here.is this somthing that is just not normal to do around here?

I'm a formmer boat owner. If your area is like So Cal there are a dozen hull cleanning companies in any of the marine directories or in the back of the local publications. Another way to find them is the talk to sail boat owners. or better yet sailboat racers. These guys have to clean their hull befor each race. Sometimes you can find a diver at work on the docks if you are at the marina durring the weekday.

In some locations where people pull their boats for the winter the costom is to paint the bottom every winter. With fresh paint and a short sailing season they have no need for divers but any place where boats are left in the water year round there are going to be divers.

I tried it, cleanning hulls. Gosh it's a messy job. Basically it becomes zero viz, the end of your arm disappears in the muck and the stuff you scrub off gets in all yur equipment, little worms in your BC and the bottom paint is toxic. The job pays poorly too.
It s kind of like solo diving in an overhead enviromnet with zero viz. But only 3 or 4 feet of depth. Takes a few days to get good at it.

Edit: I just noticed you ar in Nashvill TN. There is no ocean there. maybe that i the reason there are not 100 hull cleaning companies. Maybe you can find a lift and pressure wash the hull. When there are 100 hull cleanning companie the price is good do to competition but if you had to hire a commercial diver to clean the boat it woul be darn expensive. Beter to hire a travel lift.

We ar discussing this now...our boat is due. We would never get in at the marina (due to bacteria for one thing) but once morred off several miles on a dive site, maybe we could hit a section and stay on top of it? The guy here does it for 30 bucks so I am leaning towards doing that.... The other boat owners say once a month is the ticket here. I have heard people use used gaskets to scrape or they use those scotch pads? Staying on top of it is the trick I think.

We have redneck lineage.

stuff you scrub off gets in all yur equipment, little worms in your BC and the bottom paint is toxic.
you just convinced me. All you have to say to me is that something is toxic and I won't do it.

look guys,im not tryin to make anybody mad.i found this board and seen that it had alot of people on it,so i decided to try and get some info about this cleaning bit.if you will google it there is alot of buisineses on the coast that do it so the boat dont have to come out of the water.

so hey,my DUMB REDNECK mind figured why not do that here in tennessee on these big house boats.might make some money,ya might not.either way i learned how to dive.it was a win-win.

i know nothing about this stuff,and there is nobody here that does,and thats why it seems like a good idea here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom