Under cover - Gray's Reef National Marine Sanctuary contains beauty beneath the sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LindaBluedolphin:
Hi Andrea (or anyone else who is in the know)

Can you tell me a bit more about that charter and Savanna area diving, http://www.tlccharters.com/index.html I just heard about them. How are they with dive times, and surface intervals? Is it a laid back day, or are yoiu rushed through your dives?

How is the water temp and vis wise around September?

Are there reasonable local acommodations (would probably need 2 nights)

Just general information in general would be great.

Thanks!

Linda

Hello
Captain Terry and his wife runs a FIRST CLASS operation. Capt. Terry is a legitimate charter captain, has medical oxygen onboard and he knows Gray's reef well. His opeartion is laid back and their divemaster Mike Cohoon has a lot of experience on Grays reef diving and probably has as many logged dives there as the NOAA divers.

The best accomodations would be in the Richmond Hill area at I-95 exit 87 which is good proximity to both the charter and the savannah area.

I myself am a USCG licensed master captain and a NAUI Instructor. I have ran a scuba charter here for years and my company Georgia Offshore has been featured in Both Scuba Diving Magazine and New York Newsday Magazine.
My family, students, friends etc fill most all of my charters so we defer most of our business to Capt. Terry at TLC because of the great way he takes care of his customers.

September is probably the worst time of the year to dive at Grays Reef because of the usual tropical weather, 9 foot tides, and plankton blooms that ocuur during that time of year. However the water temp is around the mid 80's in Sept.
I found the best time to plan a trip to Grays is winter, spring, or early summer. However if you dont mind 10' viz anytime is good to dive there.

Here's a video shot by NOAA during the better diving months out on Grays Reef. Note the MANTA RAY in the video as well. I think everyone has seen one there but me and I have been diving Grays for twenty years! However I did see a Wright Whale there
during the winter months !! Grays Reef by the way is the winter calving grounds for the Wright Whales!

Enjoy the video taken by NOAA >>>>>>>>>

GRAYS REEF VIDEO

See more video and learn more about Georgia Diving at the following links. We just started a new forum and encourage everyone to participate and share their Georgia diving experiences. Even if the dives are not in the ocean. We are also giving away a new Atomic Aquatics Z2 regulator to one of our club members at the December club meeting

Blackbeards Scuba Club

Savannah Scuba Forum

Bob,

Thank you for the information, I guess September is out then as I would like to go when the vis is decent. I am sure like NC September can be somewhat unpredictible. My biggest challenge ALWAYS is finding somene to dive with.

This is great information it should help me plan better for the future, since I only found out about this site a few days ago.

LindaBlueD!

seatiger:
Hello
Captain Terry and his wife runs a FIRST CLASS operation. Capt. Terry is a legitimate charter captain, has medical oxygen onboard and he knows Gray's reef well. His opeartion is laid back and their divemaster Mike Cohoon has a lot of experience on Grays reef diving and probably has as many logged dives there as the NOAA divers.

The best accomodations would be in the Richmond Hill area at I-95 exit 87 which is good proximity to both the charter and the savannah area.

I myself am a USCG licensed master captain and a NAUI Instructor. I have ran a scuba charter here for years and my company Georgia Offshore has been featured in Both Scuba Diving Magazine and New York Newsday Magazine.
My family, students, friends etc fill most all of my charters so we defer most of our business to Capt. Terry at TLC because of the great way he takes care of his customers.

September is probably the worst time of the year to dive at Grays Reef because of the usual tropical weather, 9 foot tides, and plankton blooms that ocuur during that time of year. However the water temp is around the mid 80's in Sept.
I found the best time to plan a trip to Grays is winter, spring, or early summer. However if you dont mind 10' viz anytime is good to dive there.

Here's a video shot by NOAA during the better diving months out on Grays Reef. Note the MANTA RAY in the video as well. I think everyone has seen one there but me and I have been diving Grays for twenty years! However I did see a Wright Whale there
during the winter months !! Grays Reef by the way is the winter calving grounds for the Wright Whales!

Enjoy the video taken by NOAA >>>>>>>>>

GRAYS REEF VIDEO

See more video and learn more about Georgia Diving at the following links. We just started a new forum and encourage everyone to participate and share their Georgia diving experiences. Even if the dives are not in the ocean. We are also giving away a new Atomic Aquatics Z2 regulator to one of our club members at the December club meeting

Blackbeards Scuba Club

Savannah Scuba Forum

Ditto.

Thx. Bob.

A.

I just watched the video, WOW is all I can say, looks like a great dive.

I agree Linda, they did an incredible job on the video.

Bob, when are you going to run charters again?

A.

andrea31419:
I agree Linda, they did an incredible job on the video.

Bob, when are you going to run charters again?

A.

Yes, that sure is a great video of Grays Reef!

Andrea
We will start chartering again this winter. Our divemaster Bob Jackson will start running the boat this spring after he completes his captains license.

Sound good, thanks for the reply.

A.

seatiger:
Yes, that sure is a great video of Grays Reef!

Andrea
We will start chartering again this winter. Our divemaster Bob Jackson will start running the boat this spring after he completes his captains license.

Well keep me in mind if anything goes out around Thanksgiving (note the heading "single diver") I am always available to do stuff Thanksgiving weekend. I would guess a 5mm would still be okay that time of year? If not I have a polartec I can wear under.

Linda

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom