Under cover - Gray's Reef National Marine Sanctuary contains beauty beneath the sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DPJ

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Under cover
Gray's Reef National Marine Sanctuary contains beauty beneath the sea

By CHARLES SEABROOK
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 06/19/05
GRAY'S REEF — A big yellow buoy gently bobbing in the greenish-blue waters of the Atlantic Ocean is the only visible sign that an underwater fantasy land exists here, 18 miles east of Sapelo Island off Georgia's coast.

Marine biologists describe Gray's Reef National Marine Sanctuary as a "secret paradise," a place of brilliant corals, big sea turtles, giant manta rays and swarming schools of neon-colored fish.

See the full story at Atlanta Journal - Gray's Reef.

Has anyone dove there?

Some friends of mine and I made a 3 tank dive trip out to Gray's Reef back on May 14. I think it was a little early in the year. The marine life was very sparse. We did, however, see a turtle and a couple of nurse sharks.

There are quite a few corals and anemones.

I would have liked to have had a better diver master with more intimate knowledge of the reef.

All of the dives bottomed out at about 60 feet. Surface temperatures were in the very low 80's and the bottom temps were a constant 65 degrees F. The visibility was in the 30 feet range. The day we dive the swells were about 2-3 feet and, unfortunately, very short between the crests which made gearing up a challenge of its own.

I'd like to do it again in warmer waters to see what the difference will be in marine life population and species.

the K

I couldn't really tell from the story, where do you take the boat from to get there?

We've got a few pics from Grays Reef (www.savannahscuba.net) ...we have the Grays Reef Cleanup Dive in a couple of weeks. I'll have more pics and a trip report of conditions.

Charter we use is www.tlccharters.com

Kraken, You need to go out with Gene of Zero Gravity...he's an awsome divemaster, along with my hubby, Wayne Hillis, who has been diving offshore Ga., for upteen years +.
A.

So, what's the lowdown on the clean up dive????
Need divers ???? Huh, huh, do ya, huh,huh ??????

I'll definitely let you know if a seats becomes available. We partner up with Grays Reef every year to assist in the reef cleanup. They sponsor a charter, we dive their coordinates where they feel cleanup may be needed.

andrea31419:
We've got a few pics from Grays Reef (www.savannahscuba.net) ...we have the Grays Reef Cleanup Dive in a couple of weeks. I'll have more pics and a trip report of conditions.

Charter we use is www.tlccharters.com

Kraken, You need to go out with Gene of Zero Gravity...he's an awsome divemaster, along with my hubby, Wayne Hillis, who has been diving offshore Ga., for upteen years +.
A.
Hi Andrea (or anyone else who is in the know)

Can you tell me a bit more about that charter and Savanna area diving, http://www.tlccharters.com/index.html I just heard about them. How are they with dive times, and surface intervals? Is it a laid back day, or are yoiu rushed through your dives?

How is the water temp and vis wise around September?

Are there reasonable local acommodations (would probably need 2 nights)

Just general information in general would be great.

Thanks!

Linda

Back
Top Bottom