Under armour versus Dive skins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulyray114

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was just wondering what the difference would be wearing under armour leggings under a wetsuit compared to a full dive skin? I'm looking to have a light layer of insulation as well as more ease in getting my wetsuit on and off.Has anyone experimented with this idea?

Underarmor is roughly $25-30 per piece, and the dive skin I have cost $30 total. I enjoy my underarmor shirts for exercise purposes, but they have a tendency to ride up so I wouldn't want to try keeping them in place as I pulled up my wetsuit. I don't know how the leggings work, though, since I don't have any.

--Shannon

I'm a fan. I used to use my standard issue polypro ECWS underlayer tops and bottoms under my 50/50 drysuit, which worked just fine to about 60 degrees F but were a wee bit bulkier than I wanted. I replaced them with the lined UA tops and bottoms and dive them to about the same temps with absolutely no issues.

As to use under a wetsuit: Standard UA (like heatgear) will stick like glue when wet, so get the sleeves where you want them. They do dry fast though.

Dive safe!

Yep, I just edited - man its good to know I'm not the only one up this time of night

Shhh... you might tip off work! :)

I've used the UA stuff all year, compression top and bottoms.

I don't think I'd try UA stuff underwater. I have Henderson shorts (much like UA compression shorts) for use under my wetsuit. Maybe it would work as undergarments for a dry suit.

UA is too expensive to use in an environment where it will get beat up like that daily. Just get a cheap skin that's designed for that use :) IMHO of course...

Danny

P.S. I'm also a HUGE fan of UA stuff, use it almost daily, just not diving :D

I was just wondering what the difference would be wearing under armour leggings under a wetsuit compared to a full dive skin? I'm looking to have a light layer of insulation as well as more ease in getting my wetsuit on and off.Has anyone experimented with this idea?

Do it for the ease. Wet fabric has virtually zero for insulation value. The most it can hope to do is tighten a loose fitting suit.

I agree with others that if you're going to wear an under layer then the dive skin with 1 piece construction will stay but and is priced right.

Pete

No insulation value for UA but I use it for shorts and rash / sun guard all the time. Holds up pretty well and I've been able to find it just as cheap as Oneal or other rash / sun guards. Plus like the color options and fit a bit better than Oneal.

Back
Top Bottom