"Unconserving" The Mosquito

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Jenny

dirty-finned dive goddess
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have a Suunto Mosquito. The problem is that it is so conserative that tables seem liberal! I am getting tired of cutting my dive short because it wants to put me into deco while my buddies have plenty of bottom time left.

Anybody know of a way to make it less conserative?

It is Nitrox capable.

If you haven't dialled in any personal conservativism, I don't know of a way to change the algorithm. You can set it for a Nitrox mix (which will make it more liberal) but you wouldn't have any idea what you had done and how it would compare with other algorithms. You can also use it in free dive mode -- it goes into "error" after five minutes, but shows you your depth and accumulated dive time for the whole dive. This does cause some problems with logging, because the sampling rate in freedive mode is higher and the computer does something weird about logging two dives for one (one shallow, brief one, and then the rest of the dive you did). In addition, it locks you out from using it as a computer for 48 hours after doing that, and every time you dive, the 48 hours resets. And in that mode, you are simply using it as a gauge and are dependent on your brain for the NDL information.

If you want a more liberal computer, it's probably safer to buy a more liberal computer.

Yes. I had it set to a 1.6 MOD, but that does nothing for my bottom time.

Just go into deco and then "do the time". If you have the gas and you have the time, just do your dive.

Suunto computers will significantly reduce NDL time on repetitive dives if you have "misbehaved" by doing something wrong on the first dive, such as too rapid of an ascent, skipping the safety stop, or doing a whole bunch of ascents and descents.

Unless you are activating additional safety factors by such actions, you should be able to just let it go into deco, and then use a slow ascent and appropriate stops to clear the decompression obligation.

I've often done dives with divers using Suunto computers where they go slightly into deco. They clear the deco obligation about the same time my Oceanic computer goes from yellow zone back into green, which is where I typically want to surface.

To add to what Charlie wrote, the deco time will start counting down once you are shallower than 33 feet and will not go into error unless you go shallower than 9 feet before doing your time.

Ditto to what Charlie said.
I have a Suunto Vyper and I changed the default maximum depth from 50 meters to 70 meters. Frequently the computer gives me deco warnings but I ignore them and complete the dive, then make the "required" deco stop. However, I never set it to Nitrox while I'm using normal air.

Jenny -

In addition to the reasonable advice above, you can also program in a nitrox solution that is somewhat richer than your actual mix. It would give you greater NDL. This is fraught with danger and would be somewhat dumb. I don't suggest it.

Another perfectly valid approach is to sell the computer to a diver who wants the conservative limits and buying a computer more in line with what your buddies are using.

Regards,
Peter Doege

pdoege:
Another perfectly valid approach is to sell the computer to a diver who wants the conservative limits and buying a computer more in line with what your buddies are using.

Regards,
Peter Doege

I agree. I have a stinger and my wife could use a mosquito if you want to sell?

Back
Top Bottom