"Unconserving" The Mosquito

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Red Sea Shadow:
Ditto to what Charlie said.
I have a Suunto Vyper and I changed the default maximum depth from 50 meters to 70 meters. Frequently the computer gives me deco warnings but I ignore them and complete the dive, then make the "required" deco stop. However, I never set it to Nitrox while I'm using normal air.

Changing max depth parameter will only change the depth at which it gives you an alarm.
It shouldn't change the algorithm.

Most Vyper users that are Nitrox qualified learn very quickly that you should always leave it in Nitrox mode at 21% because otherwise you can't change the setting in the middle of a dive series. If I remember rightly not until the no-fly timer has zeroed.
You may do a first dive with air and then the boat will find a spare Nitrox cylinder left over and offer it to you. :wink: Or some diver that paid extra will be seasick and abort his dive.

As for upping the Nitrox setting to make the computer more aggressive. The results are of course unpredictable but I do know a few DMs working holiday locations, up to 5 dives per day every day on very well known profiles, that do nudge the setting up 1 or 2%. I wouldn't do it or recommend it but for some people in specific circumstances it's an option.

miketsp:
Changing max depth parameter will only change the depth at which it gives you an alarm.
It shouldn't change the algorithm.

Yes I know. I never mentioned that it will change the algorithm. It just gives more freedom. For me, an alarm at 50m is not required at all :)

Yes....it's a pity there's not a 'bull shark' setting huh! :eyebrow:

Use it in gauge mode (it does that doesn't it?) or get something else are the only two things I know.

No, the Mosquito does not have a gauge mode. The closest you can get is the "free dive" mode, which will give you depth and time, but an error message where the NDLs would be. And that has the drawbacks I mentioned above.

TSandM:
No, the Mosquito does not have a gauge mode. The closest you can get is the "free dive" mode, which will give you depth and time, but an error message where the NDLs would be. And that has the drawbacks I mentioned above.
Oh...OK. I have a Vyper and I thought they were the same.

Time to buy a new computer or read the "Average Depth Diving' thread! :eyebrow:

Kim:
Yes....it's a pity there's not a 'bull shark' setting huh! :eyebrow:

I could use one of those settings, myself.

Yes, I have had two mosquitos for over two years now, very conservative and sometimes frustrating especially when diving with divers who's computers are not quite conservative. Either hang with it or dump it! Although it keeps you safe!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom