Unconcious floater rescued - Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
It sounds like the lone diver was essentially gone but revived by the heroic efforts of the passing boat crew. BTW, a septuagenarian is a person in his 70s, which he is not yet, but may be someday thanks to them...

Diving boat saves the life of a foreign diver who was floating in the sea of Cozumel
Tourist service providers who carried out diving activities saved the life of a septuagenarian foreigner who was floating unconscious in the sea near a hotel in Cozumel.
The information provided by the crew of a boat, indicates that minutes before seven in the afternoon they went diving with a client, when they looked out the stern they saw what at first looked like a turtle, however, they realized that it was a person. Everything seems to indicate that the American Dennis E.S. 69-year-old suffered a heart attack while doing underwater activities.
The man was immediately boarded the ship Ana María 3 where fortunately one of the crew named José Concepción used his knowledge in first aid applying resuscitation, even though the foreigner did not seem to have vital signs. After several attempts he managed to revive him, managing to perceive very slight heartbeats.
By that time the C5 had already received a report from the captain named Pablo. An ambulance was dispatched from a private clinic on the island to the Allegro hotel, where he was taken off the pier and transferred in critical but stable condition to a private clinic, where he was treated and later relatives of the man could be located.

Any indication that this was actually a scuba diver who was found?
Going only what the statement says, he "suffered a heart attack while doing underwater activities." It's rare for anyone to survive such, but he was very lucky. And I suppose that he was solo shore diving: "floating unconscious in the sea near a hotel in Cozumel."

Going only what the statement says, he "suffered a heart attack while doing underwater activities." It's rare for anyone to survive such, but he was very lucky. And I suppose that he was solo shore diving: "floating unconscious in the sea near a hotel in Cozumel."
The reason I asked is because I don't believe that area (near the Allegra, I think they said) is particularly well known for shore diving. And, since it was within the Marine Park, technically, he would have been required to have a guide. So I doubt that anyone would have rented him a tank, in that instance. I think it is more likely that he was snorkelling.

I read that it was from Iberostar pier. He was shore diving with a group and became separated from the group

I read that it was from Iberostar pier. He was shore diving with a group and became separated from the group
Separation makes sense. Visibility had been relatively poor the last few days. In fact, the port was closed south of Palancar for a few days last week due to strong south winds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom