Drifter rescued - St Francis Bay, South Africa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Lost for two hours wouldn't be as bad as overnight, but it would seem so to me, especially after losing his fins.

A diver was rescued on Thursday after he went missing off-shore of Seal Point Lighthouse in Cape St Francis.

According to NSRI St Francis Bay station commander, Sara Smith, their duty crew was activated following reports of the missing diver at approximately 13:30.

She explained that two local men, recreational divers from a local dive club, were diving at a depth of 35 to 40 metres and on ascent from their dive, their anchor line reportedly came loose from their boat forcing them to speed up their ascent.

Upon surfacing, one diver was able to reach their RHIB (rigid hull inflatable boat) while the other, after managing to get his dive fins onboard their boat, became separated from the boat, causing his diving partner to lose sight of him.

The alarm was raised while the diving partner initiated a search.

"The missing man was reported to be adrift at sea with no aids (life-jacket, flippers, safety gear) other than his wetsuit with his dive tank and BC," Smith said.

After calling for backup from all relevant land and air stakeholders all the way to Nelson Mandela Bay, Jeffrey's Bay, Oyster Bay as well as NSRI Kommetjie (Cape Town) an extensive search was conducted in sea conditions with two to three metre westerly swells.

Shortly after 15:00, following an extensive air, sea and shoreline search, the missing diver was located 1 nautical mile off-shore west of Seal Point Lighthouse by the NSRI Jeffreys Bay rescue craft, Rescue 37.

"He was found to be in good spirits despite being in the water for almost two hours. He had suffered multiple Bluebottle stings to his hands but was otherwise not injured and required no medical attention. He was brought to shore aboard the NSRI rescue craft safely and reunited with his dive buddy," Smith said.

"The swift response by all involved is commended. The dive partner is commended for raising the alarm early. The massive local response by private aircraft, private boats, local clubs, the fishing industry and the immense swift response by NSRI St Francis Bay, their flanking stations NSRI Jeffrey's Bay and NSRI Oyster Bay and the support from NSRI Gqeberha, TNPA, NSRI EOC and MRCC is commended," she added.

"Upon surfacing, one diver was able to reach their RHIB (rigid hull inflatable boat) while the other, after managing to get his dive fins onboard their boat, became separated from the boat, causing his diving partner to lose sight of him."

It's my understanding that you "swim onto the boat", using your fins, whilst RHIB diving.
1678057562182.png

"Upon surfacing, one diver was able to reach their RHIB (rigid hull inflatable boat) while the other, after managing to get his dive fins onboard their boat, became separated from the boat, causing his diving partner to lose sight of him."

It's my understanding that you "swim onto the boat", using your fins, whilst RHIB diving.View attachment 772974
Kinda right. Usually hand up BC and weight belt then use your fins to dolphin kick up and pull yourself on board. Fins usually come off last.

Those waters also have some “interesting” predators.

It's my understanding that you "swim onto the boat", using your fins, whilst RHIB diving.View attachment 772974
No, all the RHIBs I've been on , Red Sea, Cocos, Galapagos, Revillagigeos, Malpelo, have ladders for us old folks. The last thing you pass up are your fins, for good reason.

No, all the RHIBs I've been on , Red Sea, Cocos, Galapagos, Revillagigeos, Malpelo, have ladders for us old folks. The last thing you pass up are your fins, for good reason.

Agreed. But this was on a rubber duck in South Africa. I never saw a ladder in many years of diving there. I hated rubber duckies (as we called them) for that reason.

Those waters also have some “interesting” predators.
The lighthouse mentioned is on the southern tip of the continent also known for wicked currents isn't it?
The last thing you pass up are your fins, for good reason.
I was thinking that. My camera, then my pony, then my BC, then at the ladder - my fins with firm hold on the ladder.

The lighthouse mentioned is on the southern tip of the continent also known for wicked currents isn't it?

I was thinking that. My camera, then my pony, then my BC, then at the ladder - my fins with firm hold on the ladder.

Great Whites and currents.

South African Rubber Ducks AKA RHIBs had no ladders. Launches are also not what you’re used to.

. Launches are also not what you’re used to.
When they start handing out life jackets and you haven't even left the beach yet.

When they start handing out life jackets and you haven't even left the beach yet.
I would guess that 95% of American divers that I see at Caribbean resorts could not dive off these Rubber Ducks. Surviving the surf entry, then holding onto the rope while they speed to the site is just the beginning. Clambering back on like a seal escaping a shark is also part of the "fun". Diving there is more of an active hobby for active folks. No white-glove handholding and warm drinks. Doing a safety stop while clinging to a piece of kelp in rough water is good training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom