Um... Is That A Technology Solution To A Skills Based Problem I See?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, no. This isn't a short straw DM situation, this is an everyday event. The cruise ship pulls in, the pink Iowans (nothing against folks from Iowa, they could easily be Nebraskans) who fell asleep by the pool in the Gulf of Mexico between Galveston and Cozumel (I don't know how I could have burned, it was cloudy and cool) get herded off the ship and into fringe topped people movers for the ride to the dedicated boat that holds these things. It's dedicated because it has to have a crane to lift them out of the water. They go to the place where it's always calm, where you can't get too deep (dragging the plastic hull on the bottom), and where they will see one nervous yellowtail snapper and maybe a intermediate gray angel. If they are lucky, and I mean hit the lottery lucky, a dolphin will swim past laughing it's bottlenose ass off. After a 20 minute "dive", where the DM has to watch 4 people going in 3 directions, fixxing one of the "bobs", and running 25 people throught he event, they all pile back ont he barge and head back to the cruise ship, where the pinker Iowans will tip the poor guy 5 bucks for keeping their sweaty butts alive. The guy knows that tomorrow will look much like today, as did yesterday, and the day before. No rest for the wicked.

Edit - OK, Fine, it's black durgeons, and you have to carry a bag of fish food to get them to come near you. Nice tumor on the turtle, too.

Oh, no. This isn't a short straw DM situation, this is an everyday event. The cruise ship pulls in, the pink Iowans (nothing against folks from Iowa, they could easily be Nebraskans) who fell asleep by the pool in the Gulf of Mexico between Galveston and Cozumel (I don't know how I could have burned, it was cloudy and cool) get herded off the ship and into fringe topped people movers for the ride to the dedicated boat that holds these things. It's dedicated because it has to have a crane to lift them out of the water. They go to the place where it's always calm, where you can't get too deep (dragging the plastic hull on the bottom), and where they will see one nervous yellowtail snapper and maybe a intermediate gray angel. If they are lucky, and I mean hit the lottery lucky, a dolphin will swim past laughing it's bottlenose ass off. After a 20 minute "dive", where the DM has to watch 4 people going in 3 directions, fixxing one of the "bobs", and running 25 people throught he event, they all pile back ont he barge and head back to the cruise ship, where the pinker Iowans will tip the poor guy 5 bucks for keeping their sweaty butts alive. The guy knows that tomorrow will look much like today, as did yesterday, and the day before. No rest for the wicked.

Oh...man it sucks to be that guy. I would be quitting that job real quick.

I just don't see the fun in that - why not learn to actually scuba dive... honestly OW is probably easier then learning to drive that thing and you get to have a skill for the rest of your life.

What happens if your lower body fell off the scooter and you were dangling by your neck from the helmet?!!! I hope that can't actually happen....

I mean I'm up for an adventure and all but honestly even I would not try that. I like to be in charge of my own death - I don't want some yellow scuba scooter killing me off.

Those people don't care about being divers. They're just checking something off the bucket list between margaritas and mojitos.

What is this machine? It looks like a death sentence. I think I'll stick to the caves - much safer. I can only imagine what it's like to have an engine malfunction and sink into the abyss riding one of these...
funny-scuba-diving-pictures.jpg

... I didn't realize they were putting Walmarts underwater now ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

A small group of these things floated over me when I was doing a shore dive on the Hotel Cozumel house reef last year. Lame compared to a scuba dive, but the people inside seemed happy enough. I'm pretty sure the ones I saw were tethered to each other and basically had to go in little circles.

Those people don't care about being divers. They're just checking something off the bucket list between margaritas and mojitos.

I thought diving was the bucket list between margaritas and mojitos

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom