Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ve not checked into the thread in a while. I remember that there were a few of us who wished you could get a pair of extra glove side rings to have gloves mounted on for spares.

I don’t know if anyone else ever got them. I was in contact with DRIS yesterday and you can get spare glove rings! I was quoted $105 plus the cost of gloves. I’m picking them up later in the week. They’ll have the gloves already mounted for me. : )

I’ve not checked into the thread in a while. I remember that there were a few of us who wished you could get a pair of extra glove side rings to have gloves mounted on for spares.

I don’t know if anyone else ever got them. I was in contact with DRIS yesterday and you can get spare glove rings! I was quoted $105 plus the cost of gloves. I’m picking them up later in the week. They’ll have the gloves already mounted for me. : )

Awesome. In my opinion, a spare set of gloves already mounted on rings is an excellent investment.

The gloves they're mounting on the rings are SHOWA 495s... Essentially a 660 with a removable "glove liner" underglove.

I've been trying to get my friends at DRIS to carry others, because there's tougher, thinner, warmer, more flexible gloves available. The 495s are kinda "classic" in 2020. Unfortunately, I have had little success in getting them to make a change.

Let us know how you like tue 495s - and get some other gloves as well do you can make some comparisons.

Awesome. In my opinion, a spare set of gloves already mounted on rings is an excellent investment.

The gloves they're mounting on the rings are SHOWA 495s... Essentially a 660 with a removable "glove liner" underglove.

I've been trying to get my friends at DRIS to carry others, because there's tougher, thinner, warmer, more flexible gloves available. The 495s are kinda "classic" in 2020. Unfortunately, I have had little success in getting them to make a change.

Let us know how you like tue 495s - and get some other gloves as well do you can make some comparisons.

I’m getting my standard blue smurf gloves mounted on the rings. Forget the number, but nothing new.

Yeah, there's a lot of different gloves that are standard blue smurf gloves... But one of my divers just did the same thing and they sent him rings with 495s loaded.

I recommend the 720s. They're thinner, more dexterous, and much warmer. They're down one level of cut and abrasion protection, but up one level in tear and puncture protection - so they're about as protective as the 495s but thinner and much easier to use... And install.

I'm also having very good luck so far with the 282s (still testing) - which havebidentical protection numbers as the 495s but are so thin and stretchy and comfortable that you'll have doubts about using them. So far, they've really set a new bar for me - but we'll see.

Another recommendation would be the new Ansell 58-735s. They exceed the ratings of the 495s in all categories but one, and feel very much like the 720s in terms of material thickness, stretchiness, and dexterity.

All or these can be had for just a few bucks on Zoro or Amazon.

Yeah, there's a lot of different gloves that are standard blue smurf gloves... But one of my divers just did the same thing and they sent him rings with 495s loaded.

I recommend the 720s. They're thinner, more dexterous, and much warmer. They're down one level of cut and abrasion protection, but up one level in tear and puncture protection - so they're about as protective as the 495s but thinner and much easier to use... And install.

I'm also having very good luck so far with the 282s (still testing) - which havebidentical protection numbers as the 495s but are so thin and stretchy and comfortable that you'll have doubts about using them. So far, they've really set a new bar for me - but we'll see.

Another recommendation would be the new Ansell 58-735s. They exceed the ratings of the 495s in all categories but one, and feel very much like the 720s in terms of material thickness, stretchiness, and dexterity.

All or these can be had for just a few bucks on Zoro or Amazon.

I’m fine with whatever gloves I’ve been getting. I take a size medium, which means I’m not going to find my size locally. I’ve looked in the past. Since they work for me, I have no urge to start down a rabbit hole. I’m not a tinkerer like some of you are. Once I find something that works, I don’t change unless I have really good reason.

Yeah, don't buy locally anyway... You'll wind up having to make concessions and compromises on what you want - like model number and size. Just Google for them and order them online - best prices, right to your door... Exactly the glove and size you wanted.

Our conversation prompted me to make some changes in my glove chart... Primarily, the color column. I've now called all "smurf" gloves "smurf blue," because that's how they're most commonly identified.

I also added the availability of the chart in .pdf format, since someone requested that in a PM.

Here's the new chart:

gloves.jpg

The image is available for download at www.deepsouthdivers.org/gloves.jpg

In Excel format: www.deepsouthdivers.org/gloves.xlsx

In PDF (Adobe) format: www.deepsouthdivers.org/gloves.pdf

SHOWA 282's on the jobsite... Held in place by the Waterproof Ultima Dryglove Ring System!

Aaaalllrighty then.

282s are definitely out for me. They lasted four dives, and I poked about five holes in each glove the first time I dealt with cleaning a boat bottom full of barnacles.

The problem is their relatively low puncture resistance. Pin holes everywhere.

...Which is a shame. I really liked the feel and comfort and warmth and dexterity of the 282s.

...Which leads me into testing my next "new" glove again... The Ansell 58-735. This one's promising to be a lot more appropriate for what I do for a living.

I've got two dives on that glove already - both of them dry as a bone. One thing I can tell you that's a little odd is that in every SHOWA glove, I am a size 10. In every Ansell (to include the 58-735), I'm a size 9. For reference, my hands measure 9.25" when measured according to both the SHOWA and Ansell sizing charts.

More later.

I just received a sample of Ansell 58-735s. My hand measures 9" around and Showa 720s, size 10, fit with a thin under glove. The Ansell sample is size 10 and fits tighter. It fits my hand but can't quite squeeze in the under glove. I don't have any dives on the 58-735s yet but hoping to soon.

Back
Top Bottom