Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My feelings exactly on the 282’s. I hated taking them off my rings, but they never stayed dry. The new ansells just don't fit right for me, I’m still waiting for something better than the nsk24.
They have been dry, fit well and easy to mount.

I know, right? Once you get used to the fit of a SHOWA glove, it's hard to like anything else. By comparison, every Ansell I've worn is shorter and wider than a comparable SHOWA... And almost always "flatter" and less anatomically correct (pre-bent, with cylindrical fingers rather than flat ones). Honestly, the 58-735 seems to be more "SHOWA" in fit (perhaps Ansell is moving toward a SHOWA-style fit) than other Ansells, but the point is still notable.

That said, when talking about a stretch glove - and in particular a wet glove from the chart - the fit difference between Ansell and SHOWA is much less prominent than it is when a glove gets big and thick like in a PVC glove.

I just received a sample of Ansell 58-735s. My hand measures 9" around and Showa 720s, size 10, fit with a thin under glove. The Ansell sample is size 10 and fits tighter. It fits my hand but can't quite squeeze in the under glove. I don't have any dives on the 58-735s yet but hoping to soon.

That's interesting... So you're saying that the Ansell 58-735 seems to be SMALLER than a SHOWA 720 of the same size? That's the opposite of how I would describe the fit of each glove... But maybe you mean length or something. I find the Ansells as a whole to be shorter, stubbier, fatter, and slightly stiffer than the SHOWA 720s... Like, bigger but shorter. Are we agreeing but just using different terminology, or are we disagreeing on our observations?

In all, I'd prefer to stay in my 720s... But as durable as they are, I am finding that they are not rugged enough for boat bottom cleaning and general work around oysters and barnacles. I am hoping the Ansell 58-735s are more durable, and the numbers show that this should be the case... But I miss the SHOWA fit, the slightly softer and stretchier feel, and the attractive color of the 720s.

I'm also going to dig through my bin today and see if I can find my old set of SHOWA 3416s and see if I can get them on a set of rings now that I've mastered the art of loading drygloves on the Ultimas. The 3416 has super impressive numbers, will probably have the typical SHOWA fit and are BLACK, which to me have the most professional appearance.

...So there you have it: I'm currently testing the strongest, most promising, highest-ranked, toughest drygloves made against the very worst barnacles and oysters... To set a benchmark of how long I can get drygloves to last in a working environment.

Your description is right on Deep South. Ansell fingers are shorter. Across the knuckles is not as flexible, most likely due to the gloves being flatter. I will probably stick with the 720s as I use them for rec diving. The ruggedness isn't as much of an issue as with a diver at work.

I couldn't agree more, DarrynSami. It seems like you and I are having the same experience.

The Ansell 58-735s use a stiffer material than the SHOWA 720s too... So there's some loss of dexterity and feel and general comfort when using them as compared to the awesome 720s... Time will tell if it means extra ruggedness and if it's worth it for work.

Yeah, if I wasn't working and scraping and chiseling all day in really bad conditions, I'd probably stick to the 720s too.

I just received a shipment of SHOWA 3416 samples. I thought I had tested these before (and thus included them on my test chart at www.deepsouthdivers.org/gloves.jpg), but I was mistaken. I have never seen these gloves before and was thinking of a different glove when I included them on the chart.

I'm impressed and excited.

The breakdown is this:

1. The 3416s are made by SHOWA, not Ansell... So they have that addictive SHOWA fit.

2. The 3416s are BLACK, which happens to be my favorite color for dive gloves - and a safe bet for staying pro-looking.

3. The 3416s are super stretchy - almost like a latex glove... Which means a lot of comfort and tactile feel. They're stretchier than the 720s by a longshot.

5. The 3416s have the most impressive protection numbers I've seen in a glove... Exceeding the 720s and even the new Ansell 58-735s, which I am still testing. See this chart for specifics:

gloves.jpg

Bottom line? Wow. Just wow. I'm going to load them and go dive them right now.

One thing I can tell you about them just from putting them on: They run small... Even smaller than SHOWA normally runs (as compared to Ansell). I don't know that I'd recommend upsizing a full size, but they're snug. Of course, that is kinda makes sense since the glove is so stretchy.

I don't know that I'll be able to give any hard conclusions from one dive today, but I'll post my first impressions when I have them.

As promised, here's my new Ansell 58-735s in the Galapagos. After the first dive, someone dunked my drysuit with the zipper open. It wasn't me. It was then hung with a bunch of wetsuits. I tried to dry it on the upper deck of the boat but while I was having lunch we had a heavy downpour. My suit was pretty wet for the entire ten days. I made a dozen dives at home before we left and the gloves remained dry. I've got the suit hanging in the sun now, so hopefully, we can get back in the water in a couple of days to see if everything is OK.
Gloves.jpg

Badass picture!! I love that the newest glove has already seen the Galapagos!

Man, that sucks about your drysuit. What the heck is wrong with people??

How do they compare to the 720s in your opinion? Have you decided on a favorite?

They're very large! I have size 11 and there is plenty of room. Last year at God's Pocket I had to wear two inner gloves due to the cold. These might be perfect there. After your last post, I ordered some SHOWA 3416s. They sound great.

I didn't get to dive the SHOWA 3416s today.

Instead, I continued the testing of the Ansell 58-735s... This time in a size 9 (my hands measure 9.25 inches, and I felt that the size 10s were too large on my last dive).

The size 9s fit fine, but when I added a Burton Powerstretch "glove liner" underneath, they felt a little snug. I dove them anyway.

They were comfortable, but... How do I put this... They felt like they were sliding off the ends of my hands the entire time. Not a bad glove - I think I'm just spoiled with the fit of the SHOWAs.

They DID stay dry, though... Even though I was pretty rough on them today cleaning barnacles off of a boat bottom.

I'll take them off the rings tomorrow morning and test them for leaks. I did have some dampness in the glove, but it was probably perspiration. I'll keep one set of rings loaded with 58-735s, size 10 and then replace these 9s with a SHOWA 3416 and dive those two back to back tomorrow.

Ansell gloves seem roomier in the fingers, especially at the fingertips. Whether that's a good thing or bad is up to you. Personally, I'm not a fan.

Ansells also seem to have a straighter cut at the wrist, whereas SHOWAs seem to be snugger in the wrist area compared to the palm of the glove. This probably helps keep the glove situated and adds to a feeling of staying on your hand - at the expense of ease of donning and doffing.

Honestly, I could wear either the SHOWA 720 or thd Ansell 58-735. I prefer the fit and feel of the 720, but if the 58-735 is tougher and more reliable, then that's what I'll end up choosing every time.

I'm seriously hoping that the 3416 trumps both of them. It's definitely thicker but a lot stretchier than the 720. We'll see how that plays out underwater.

They're very large! I have size 11 and there is plenty of room. Last year at God's Pocket I had to wear two inner gloves due to the cold. These might be perfect there. After your last post, I ordered some SHOWA 3416s. They sound great.

Cool man. I have high hopes and was shocked at how stretchy they were - even with a first-I've-seen "5" rating in cut resistance. They may be the easiest glove to load yet.

If you look at the numbers, they're rated one and two levels above everything else. Clearly the toughest gloves I've seen to date - and still way more flexible with more dexterity and tactile feel than any of the PVC gloves.

Back
Top Bottom