Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I figured that in order to make a neoprene glove with a cut rating of "5," they had to be super thick. That sucks... Those numbers look pretty awesome.

The 282s are kinda the same way... Lots and lots of promise, but that puncture rating of "1" means that they'll hole pretty easily, even if their cut rating is fair. "1' is only a single step up from latex and butyl, which is to say that they just won't work well for a working diver. That's a shame... 'Cause those 282s are insanely thin and comfy.

Hopefully these new 58-735s will do the trick. Like the SHOWA 379s, I'm not a fan of the color... And they could use a lot more protection on the knuckles... But if I can get a SHOWA 720 with more cut resistance (which is basically what the 58-735s are), then I'm gonna do it.

Yes, I got your installment... And sent you an email about it that morning when it hit the company account. Then I got an email from you asking if I had received it, and I responded to that too. Apparently you're suddenly not getting my emails, which is weird. Mind checking your spam box? If you find an email from me in there, can you flag it as "not spam" so the system will stop thinking that my stuff is spam?

Thanks bud. Keep me posted on if you find my two emails in your spam folder.

I added to my table, if I find more of the ansi info, I'll include that as well to directly compare.

View attachment 561589

Hey bud... I spent a few minutes taking your Excel spreadsheet and building on it. I added a few gloves that I've dived and some additional notes that I took about each glove... And also added a subjective "dexterity" rating that's solely my opinion, 0-5 with 5 being the most dexterous.

Can you take this spreadsheet and format it into something pretty? It's been a long while since I've been in college, and frankly I don't remember how to make my spreadsheet into a pretty (and usable) chart.

Little help? Thanks!

Attachments

• gloves.xlsx
    13 KB · Views: 73
Found two mistakes. Please use this file.

Attachments

• gloves.xlsx
    13.1 KB · Views: 73
Looks like I've kinda cleaned it up myself. :-D
gloves.jpg

Attachments

• gloves.xlsx
    14.1 KB · Views: 124
  • gloves.pdf
    56.6 KB · Views: 232
You're welcome to add/edit and dress it up a little if you want.

Latest version... Formatting added for legibility.

gloves.jpg

I just received the AlphaTec 58-735 gloves. They were easy to install on my Ultima rings and feel great. The gripping surface feels like medium grit sandpaper. These should be perfect for rocks and wrecks. Oh, and for SeaJay, the teal color is slightly less gaudy than the bright green 379s. :)

The fingers are wider than my 720s and my 379s, and the gloves are a little longer, so less pulling on the connection when I reach for something. There is plenty of room inside in case I need to double up on my inner liner gloves as I did in Canada last year. I wouldn't normally try out new gear on a dive trip, but I'm taking these to the Galapagos next weekend.

20200121_145314_HDR.jpg

20200121_145324_HDR.jpg

20200121_145411_HDR.jpg

20200121_145423_HDR.jpg

20200121_145432_HDR.jpg

Oh, and for SeaJay, the teal color is slightly less gaudy than the bright green 379s.

Heh heh... Was I that expressive about it? Hahahaa...

How cool is it that a new discovery and excitement over a new piece of gear nearly instantly gets used i. The Galapagos? Damn that's cool!

Pics or it didn't happen.

...So I take it that they appear to be an upgrade to the 720s so far? There's quite a bit better protection, especially from cuts (and therefore floods) - at least the numbers seem to claim so.

I haven't holed them or my 720s yet... So I'll keep testing until something floods. It's been a light week of diving this week - mostly desk work. I still have yet to run these until they break.

I'm still partial to the blue of the 720s - and the snug fit that comes from SHOWA... But like everything I know of that's made by Ansell, there's a roomier feel and vetter grip than SHOWA stuff.

Of interest, Ansell makes a number of gloves in the same color pattern as the 58-735s (here's a video: )... But only the 58-735s have the elevated cut protection and fit that's darn near like the 720s... So it's a little like getting the best of both Ansell and SHOWA in this glove.

I have high hopes. Maybe in 2021 SHOWA will raise the bar again.

By the way... Your Ansells look great on the rings. I can't wait to see them in Galapagos pictures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom