Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fitted system bulk:

0F4A15D2-BFBB-44ED-BF40-F9E4497B811D.jpeg
B3BED98F-9AA4-4C49-820F-896D71E838BA.jpeg

What's bulkier - a fitted (glued to suit) KUBI system with SHOWA 720s installed, or a Waterproof Ultima Dryglove Ring System with the SHOWA 720s installed?

The Ultima system with the si-tech ring is bulkier than the Kubi system from what I have seen.

Both systems seem to have a following. The biggest difference that I know of other than the bulk is that Kubi has to be used with latex seals but the Ultima system can be used with latex or silicone. For me, I like diving my silicone seals in place and intact....for you since you cut yours back just so they maintain waterproof integrity between the si-tech soft ring and the Ultima cuff ring this may not be an issue. Basically for me, I want the option of going gloveless when the temperature heats up without the hassle of having to pull my system apart to put full wrist seals in place...my plan is to just keep the seals in place until they tear and then pull it apart and replace. I prefer silicone to latex as well since it is hypoallergenic...contact allergy to latex can develop from exposure...it is why medical professionals by and large have switched to nitrile gloves for routine use. I specilfically chose a suit with the wrist/neck system because it had the ability to use and came with silicone seals and it was simple and easy to manage...compare to the prep work one needs to do if/when they need to replace zip seals. I chose the Ultima DGS not just because it was available and direct fit, but because it is simple, requires next no maintenance and works with my wrist seals in place which removes the pain in the arse factor of having to change my configuration depending on how I dive. My wife just got a dry suit so I will be working withe her in the pool...I don't have to reconfigure anything...I just leave the gloves at home and everything is set. For the line of work you are in, I totally get why you have yours set up the way you do...it works.

-Z

The fitted kubi system can use either seal.

Good to know...the shop I used when I purchased my suit sell Kubi but specifically did not recommend them for silicone seals as, according to them, they are more easily damaged during the installation process...they also expressed that the silicone was thicker making it more difficult to install which they believe contributed to damaging the seals. They were not stating this in favor of pushing a different product as they seem to advocate the Kubi system quite a bit.

But it is good to know they work with both latex and silicone as that just expands the available options.

-Z

Hey... Y'all asked me about the nitrile Ansell Alphatec 58-530B gloves and how they compared to the SHOWA 720/720Rs a few posts ago... So I ordered some and they came in today. Here's my review:

I lost my equalization tubes this weekend when taking off my suit...I sent Tusa (the US importer/distributor) an email and the response I received from customer service was that they did not have the specifications and that I should go to my LDS. I plan to purchase a few meters of this from Amazon....I believe they are 1mm x 2mm silicone tubing, can anyone confirm this for me please?

I think I have some sitting around. PM me your address.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom