Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not convinced these are reliable methods, even if someone at Santi says it works. Maybe unlined latex gloves, such as the Santi brand, are the best option? However, Santi charges a premium for them. I have been looking for a less expensive alternative (and have read this entire thread).

The first video ("Santi method") is exactly how you are usually supposed to mount any gloves on Santi Glove rings. Smooth latex gloves without textile lining naturally will seal better. But as the video states , in that design the actual seal is in the groove where you roll and tuck that remaining cuff into. So as long as the material is flexible enough to do this, it should work. Even when it seems sort of unreliable, in real life it works.
The second video is a method where the glove is loaded inside out onto the glove ring so that the o ring will press a seal between glove surface and the glove ring. Probably works as well. But now there isn't the rolled seal part. With smooth gloves and Santi method you end up having both.

I have used the Santi method for mounting my Santi glove rings with Santi latex gloves, Tegera nitrile gloves and latex gloves which are probably Ansell G17K. All seal wonderfully and are bone dry. I haven't tried anything with thicker textile lining, but I just ordered some Showa 720's so we will learn.
That said, I am now diving with gloves directly attached to Smartrings without wrist seals and find this more comfortable and less obtrusive that the Santi glove rings.
But yeah, for general diving where you mostly touch boltsnaps, these thin gloves like Ansell G17K are great and inexpensive.

I am looking forward to your review and hope you'll take video of your glove installation.

This whole thread has been an awesome source of information.

The Ansell G17ks with a cotton flock inside are probably most like the SHOWA 720s... Except that the 720s are nitrile whereas the G17ks are latex. Thickness-wise, they're probably very similar.

Of course, the G17ks are also cotton lined - whereas the 720s are synthetic.

Are you able to successfully install the Ansell G17ks? Are you doing it via the SANTI method on the glove rings?

Reactions: Zef
. . .
This whole thread has been an awesome source of information.

Yes indeed, and thanks not only for your reports and opinions but also for being willing to repeat the same things throughout the thread for the benefit of latecomers who don't read it from the beginning. (Tell me again why you like 720s? :wink:)

This thread is a great resource that complements the Santi Dry Glove System thread that is more directly relevant to my situation. I haven't used dry gloves before and am hoping to extend my dive season.

he Ansell G17ks with a cotton flock inside are probably most like the SHOWA 720s... Except that the 720s are nitrile whereas the G17ks are latex. Thickness-wise, they're probably very similar.

Of course, the G17ks are also cotton lined - whereas the 720s are synthetic.

Are you able to successfully install the Ansell G17ks? Are you doing it via the SANTI method on the glove rings?

Ansell G17K is 0.8 mm thick, Showa 720 is 1,2 mm according to datasheets. The G17K feels quite thin and not strong or puncture resistant at all.
The cotton flock lining in G17Ks is very thin smooth layer with almost plasticky feel, I am actually surprised that it is cotton. Size XL installs easily on Santi Glove Rings using Santi method and seals well. The cuff area is somewhat stretched when pulled over the ring but the same is true for Santi gloves too.
This is also the glove I currently have semipermanently attached to my suit with smartrings. This installation is very dry too.

Great information... Very helpful for understanding!

This sounds like it will work out very well. No doubt you'll love them as much as we do... They'll be much more rugged and warm than the latex G17Ks and will reduce your dependence on undergloves... Which will add dexterity. They're thicker than the G17Ks, but much thinner than the 660s (and more flexible too), so if the 660s are able to be mounted, then there should be no problem with the 720s.

I'll be interested to see if you're able to retain the clip-on/off feature of the SANTI SmartRings using the 720s.

I am very much looking forward to your opinion!

Yes indeed, and thanks not only for your reports and opinions but also for being willing to repeat the same things throughout the thread for the benefit of latecomers who don't read it from the beginning. (Tell me again why you like 720s? :wink:)

This thread is a great resource that complements the Santi Dry Glove System thread that is more directly relevant to my situation. I haven't used dry gloves before and am hoping to extend my dive season.

Oh, I love the 720s because... Just kidding. :)

Yes, it completely makes sense why nobody would want to read a thread this long. :) No problem! :)

Good eye! Yes, both the materials and ratings seem identical to the SHOWA 720. I suspect that the fit is slightly different - and obviously the color is a little different.

Of interest, the Ansell 58-530 is 305mm long... Which is 5mm longer than the SHOWA 720... And the 58-535 is 56mm longer.

I'm not sure how that would equate out in the real world... Since the rings usually have a "sweet spot" for installation. It's possible that the extra glove length might be all in the "extra material," or it might actually make the glove longer... Not sure.

Anyone willing to give it a go and see how it compares?

Reactions: Zef
Sorry if this has already been asked and answered, are these rings plastic or metal like the Kubis? Cheers.

I use Kubis (non fitted) on my current suit ave love them, 4 years not one leak but my suit is dying so am considering these on my next suit to allow in field seal replacement.

FWIW fitting the lined showas looks to be the same as fitting them on the Kubis, I have a step by step instruction guide with photos if it would help anyone.

Sorry if this has already been asked and answered, are these rings plastic or metal like the Kubis? Cheers.

I use Kubis (non fitted) on my current suit ave love them, 4 years not one leak but my suit is dying so am considering these on my next suit to allow in field seal replacement.

FWIW fitting the lined showas looks to be the same as fitting them on the Kubis, I have a step by step instruction guide with photos if it would help anyone.

They are plastic.
My under standing is that with the Kubis one must use latex seals even when they are fitted..is this true?

The si-tech cuff system (oval or round) can use either latex of silicone.

I am using the Ultima system and was able to put hands on the si-tech glove lock system yesterday...the glove lock system is much easier to mount gloves but the Ultima system has a beautiful simplicity to it that translates to something that works with little hassle.

Why not tranfer your Kubi investment over to whatever new suit you purchase?

I am interested in checking out the instruction you mentioned.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom