Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah, I see. So you haven't had any problem with the shortness of the PU gloves?

I do believe that the diameter of the rings and the diameter of the sleeve matters. BARE has told me before that they have to alter the sleeves of new drysuits in order to install SiTech QCS Ovals (which are necessary to use the Waterproof Ultima Dryglove ring system) whereas they wouldn't have to in order to install the QCP Round rings.

Call Chris Conterez at DRIS and ask him. He's super on-the-ball and knows this kind of stuff.

Reactions: Zef
I just finished making the latest company video for a job we did this past week. You'll recognize the Waterproof Ultima Dryglove ring system and the SHOWA 720 gloves being their typical badass selves.

The entire environment in the video is covered with small but very sharp barnacles - and the bolts that I remove and reinstall are tied in with very thin and sharp stainless steel safety wire. Several times I accidentally poked the 720s with the wire, and yet they remain leak-free. They're super tough - especially against punctures (they're rated higher than all the gloves mentioned in this thread for puncture hazards).

A keen eye will notice that I did NOT wear undergloves at all so I could best manipulate the bolts in the video. I find the 720s surprisingly warm even without undergloves... Because nitrile is just warmer than PVC or latex.

Enjoy the video. :)

Fascinating. Did you replace the zincs at the same time as you plugged the hole? Also, are the Coasties planning to leave the epoxy or haul out and replace the stud?

The CHINOOK is scheduled for haulout next month. She'll have the afflicted area cut out and replaced... Then they'll rezinc her entire hull.

All I had to do was find the problem and video it for their engineers. Meanwhile, I went home and put together an estimate for a temporary patch which would ensure that they'd MAKE it to haulout - 800 miles away.

I was notified of the problem Thursday at 11am. I left the job I was on to go take care of them and was complete by 4:30pm.

The next morning at 7am they asked for an estimate for a temporary patch. It was approved almost instantly, which is very rare for the USCG. I dove at 2:30pm (on slack tide) and had an epoxy patch installed and keeping the ship dry by 4. Left the job site at 4:35.

36 hour total turnaround. I'm proud of that - and the USCG loves that I'm Johnny-on-the-spot for them... They pay extra for the quick response.

Part of the reason I can do that is because I'm dry and warm and have reliable, well-serviced gear, 24 hours a day... And part if that is the SHOWA 720 on the Waterproof Ultima Dryglove ring system.

Most people here WANT gloves and rings that work... In my case, my paycheck depends on it - so I take it all very seriously and don't mess around with stuff that doesn't work just because it's "new and improved" or the latest style.

Even more important - my clients, like the US Coast Guard, depend on me and stuff that works.

...Which is why I'm so thrilled for the Ultima rings and the SHOWA 720s... And ditched my wrist seals altogether.

By the way... My company made around $3,000 for the job, including the epoxy repair. To say that the subject of keeping hands dry and working and suits dry and comfortable is a tremendous understatement. I literally don't care what gloves or rings cost - I just need them to work... And work RIGHT NOW.

...So yeah - Ultimas and 720s.

Hi SeaJay and to the forum,

I was planning to respond to the thread for quite some time now, but was busy enjoying the Schowa 720 and Waterproof Ultima combination :) I registered dedicated for this specific post!

First of all a big THANK YOU for the great recommendation and wisdom in this now rather long thread. I love the gloves and the system to bits!!!

My story goes as follows: I bought my custom-fit dry-suit in a rather sunny country, already with the oval rings and silicon cuffs. This was in the preparation for the case when I ever may need dry gloves. Now back in Germany I do, and got the rest of the SiTech Antares system first. Trying to fit the gloves into the Antares with a large number of Schowa 660 gloves, I got the gloves torn and cut before entering the water once. Two pairs of gloves later, I made a single dive with it. In the first minute the glove with the ring came off completely and all separated (glove/ring/tension ring). I was completely fed up! I was already planning on Kubi or some other expensive system to fix the issue with $. Yet I came across this thread and see there, the Waterproof Ultima turns out a perfect replacement that fits the dry suit outer ring perfect. The Ultima is extremely rock solid, sturdy and superb donning/doffing. I could not wish for more. The recommendation of the gloves really put the icing on the cake, they are flexible, very solid, abrasion resistant and thin. Especially the thin part gives me so much more dexterity under water, amazing when fiddling with a rebreather and two stages. Putting these gloves on the ring is a bit of fiddling but you won't do it often! I think they are a tiny bit smaller to the 660, but that is minimal and for me even better.

So once again, Thank you and especially SeaJay, you saved me $, time and a hell lot of frustration for the rest of my diving life, I am really happy about it!

One more tip for the cold water divers: I also got the Fourth Element Xerotherm Wrist Warmers and it makes it an unbeatable combination. No issues with to much / too little air in the glove and cozy warm. Before I sometimes had to consciously lift my arm to get air in the glove, this is a thing of the past.

Cheers and happy diving to all,
Chris

PS: The tip to cut the silicon cuffs off should be taken with consideration of the respective dive setting / style. For me it's simply not an option due to 4 Degree Celsius (39,2 F) water temperature and 1h+ deco obligations when coming up from 60m.

Awesome testimonial, Chris RI! We couldn't agree more!

Thanks for taking the time to register and let us know that we're doing some good letting people know about the SHOWA 720 and Waterproof Ultima Dryglove ring combination. :) Please let us know if you come across any great tips for using the system.

Maxbottomtime and anyone else interested: We did a couple of followup videos of the USCG cutter CHINOOK the other day when we applied a patch to the afflicted area. There's some really great shots of the SHOWA 720s with the Waterproof Ultima Dryglove ring system.

Of interest, notice how the epoxy gets all over the gloves and stains them. I'd be worried about it if they were ZipGloves and cost $180 to replace... But they're not - they cost $7. :)

This video is "music only":

And another, narrated version of this video also exists here just in case you want an explanation of what you're watching:

Great question! :)

The boat is due for haulout this month. All it needed to do was make it there. :)

They plan on cutting the entire area out and replacing the whole thing. They didn't want the expense of the weld... They only wanted a patch to last a few weeks.

Frankly, they could have probably just kept the plugs in place... But none of the crew was allowed holiday leave until the hull was patched from the outside and the plugs unnecessary.

...So I gave them what they were looking for. :)

Back
Top Bottom