UK Diver - Thinking about diving in Pensacola

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RichWilx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I have received a wedding invite from a friend in Pensacola for mid-September. I am seriously considering flying over from London and, even more so as I can imagine some great diving opportunities in the area.

Searching the net, there are tons of hits for "Pensacola diving", so I am turning to you for recommendations for 3 or 4 days of great diving. As a PADI AOW diver I cannot do deep, deco or penetration diving. I love wrecks and any colourful sealife, so please help me find my pleasure...

Cheers!

Rich

Be sure and check out some of the local springs near by such as Vortex and others...Really beutiful water and easy diving

There are some great wrecks right off of Pensacola, including the USS Oriskany, the "Big O". While this is probably too deep- flight deck at 145 fsw- you can always take the PADI deep course while there, and do the dives on the Big O, as the superstructure rises quite high from the deck. This would probably be a "signature" dive that you would remember and compare to any other wreck dive. Also, they just started the florida shipwreck trail, which is a passport book of wrecks strecthing from pensacola to panama city beach, and you get a custom stamp in the book for each wreck you dive. Ft. Pickens state park has good shore dives, Destin Jetties in Destin and St. Andrews Jetties in Panama City Beach are also good shore dives. 3mm shorty works for me this time of year, and you can pick one up pretty cheap in florida, compared to UK prices...especially with the exchange rate!

Rich,

Dr Dive here. Looking forward to having you in Pensacola. Capt. Dalton runs a fine operation. Dr Dive would be happy to answer any questions you may have as well. Let us know how we can be of assistance in getting your plans in place.

Capt. Jim
Dr Dive
Dr Dive Pensacola, FL - Home of the USS Oriskany
drdive@drdive.com

I just got back from Orange Beach. Its about 45 min from Pensacola. There is some really fun diving there with the oriskany being tops on my list. You can certainly still enjoy the Oriskany from 130' up. There is a ton of structure starting at 80' and fish all over it. I dove the beautiful waters of Hawaii 3 weeks ago and I have to say I actually enjoyed the Oriskany more. Its true the flight deck is at 145' but like I said there is plenty to see at recreational limits. I did a two tank dive with my first on air and second eanx32 and didn't see near enough of it. My max depth was 128'.

There are also lots of other wrecks. The ones I dove were closer to Orange Beach so I am not sure if they would be your best option. I used Down Under and will use them again. Very nice operation with a very nice boat.

However, I would contact Dr Dive for Pensacola.

You aren't going to find the amazing vis and coral reefs but you will find awesome wrecks and lots of fish!!

I happen to know a little something about the area as I live here. There are a lot of great dives in and around Pensacola. Mostly need to get a charter but there are some nice beach dives as well as the springs but that depends on how mobile you are once you get in country. You do not need any more training to dive the Big O as there is no reason to go all the way down to the flight deck. It is worth a see if you are going to be in the area. I have been out on Dr. Dive's boat and Viking charters. I can recommend both.

If you have any questions feel free to send a PM or just ask in the forum.

If you do come here, post up on the board when you get here. I'd be more than happy to show you some good shore dives, and some of the local springs. Also, I wont take my boat out to the "O", but I will take it to sites like the Russian Freighter, Pete Tide, and Bridge Rubble. It is only a 23 foot W/A cuddy with twins. I would be more than happy to have you on the boat for a dive.

I also suggest Capt. Kennedy if you want to do the "O". You should also stop in at MBT Divers in Pensacola and say hello. There are a bunch of really nice guys there.

Ditto the above....but to add my two-cents (what would that be with the exchange rate?!) to the advice....

If you like wrecks--real wrecks and not artificial reefs--then ask your chosen charter to take you to the Brass Wreck. It's an easy dive, only about 85' to the sand. It was a 19th century ship that went down off of Pensacola. The wooden sides are gone but the iron ribs rise hauntingly off the sandy bottom. It is called the Brass Wreck because there are still hundreds of brass pins in the iron ribs that held the side planking on. Huge ballast rubble in the middle. Just a cool, "real" shipwreck.

Hope you have a great trip!

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom