Ubuntu or Vista - Modern Computing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonDawg:
While I realize the OP absolutely HATES Wikipedia, this is what they have on Windows XP and ongoing Microsoft support:

The original Wikipedia article does quote actual Microsoft sources for this information.

It makes sense to continue offering support for XP for some time to come, considering Dell and other computer manufacturers are still offering XP on brand new machines.

Even when support ends, it doesn't mean the software will automatically stop working, it just means Microsoft will no longer issue software updates for it. I know of a major metropolitan police agency on the west coast that is still using Windows 95 :11:
Just FYI.. after much testing with various hardware, Windows (XP) Home Media does a much better job with the DRV video output than Vista home premium or ultimate

Hoosier:
Dumb question.

I have never used a linux. I don't think anyone is using a linux nearby me.

How about a file tranferrring between linux and Window?

I have already told in other thread though. Another reason that I gave up Mac was a file transferring issue. This issue has been solved, but it was a big issue when I had a Powerbook.
for the most part, they are interchangeable ... just use a thumb drive, cd, floppy, usb device...

Hoosier:
Dumb question.

I have already told in other thread though. Another reason that I gave up Mac was a file transferring issue. This issue has been solved, but it was a big issue when I had a Powerbook.
It seems pretty good. I've been trying the Ubuntu live cd this morning. It had no problem seeing the Windows partition (NTFS) and all the files there. Open Office also had no problem opening an Excel file, complete with embedded graphs etc. The colors of the graphs didn't quite match, but it was very close. Although I didn't run it and cancelled before it started properly, I started the full install to see what it would ask for etc. It actually sees all the Windows XP user accounts and offers to import them, complete with settings, docs etc.
This has obviously been made to make the transition from Windows as easy as possible. I expect that it's not 100% seamless, but it's getting close now. It doesn't look bad at all. I'm going to set the laptop up to dual boot for now as soon as I can properly control the partition making, and I have access to the net. (I didn't this morning) There's no harm giving it 10Gb of space to see how it goes.

And Ron......I don't "hate" Wiki. I'm just a bit suspicious when people jump straight to it to prove some point or other they're trying to make in a thread or something. Sometimes Wiki can be good and accurate - sometimes it's far less so. Because anyone can add to it it's not always entirely trustworthy IMO. Still - for a quick lookup it often suffices unless more concrete depth and detail is desired!

RV:
I like openSuSe 'cause It runs my 4 tuner MythTV so well...

oh, and it's also free

Ubuntu should also run MythTV (as shuold any other flavour of linux). My personal fav is gentoo, but that is not a good linux distro for the new linux user...

Bryan

Hoosier:
Dumb question.

Any linux can access your NTFS files on windows partition (can be used r/w but it's much safer to mount it r/o). If you are talking about 2 computers you just use a network share (samba does it on linux)!

I run linux on all my machines and it works great (even on this laptop that I use for work)

btw. I'm running Debian for the last 12 years and still loving it...

Windows XP Professional GA Date: 12/31/2001 Mainstream Support ends 4/14/2009 Extended Support ends 4/8/2014

check out Microsoft's Website

While Ubuntu and Linux are cool, they are no more or less modern than Windows XP or Vista.

Windows XP Professional GA Date: 12/31/2001 Mainstream Support ends 4/14/2009 Extended Support ends 4/8/2014

check out Microsoft's Website

While Ubuntu and Linux are cool, they are no more or less modern than Windows XP or Vista.

that'll give them plenty of time to fix vista and make it at least as good as

Nobody suggested they were. "Modern" referred solely to the latest versions of the various OS, and the choice of what to use.

For me in Japan it's a huge issue. If I buy a computer here it might very well come with Vista pre-installed now.....in Japanese. I have to replace the OS to an English version - which I have to pay full price for! (I have enquired about this with Microsoft as it strikes me reasonable enough for them just to replace what I have already bought with a version I can use. They aren't interested. :no)

Ubuntu on the other hand is free.....

Another neat trick is to install it in a virtual machine, such as VMWare Workstation or Virtual PC.

Then... you can try it out without repartitioning your system, and transferring files would be a snap... across the network between your virtual machine and the physical one.

I downloaded Ubuntu this weekend and plan to try it out that way before making the commitment to replace XP or Vista.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom