U.S. coins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tedgarner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have noticed at a few local restaurants that have a tip jar, many people have been leaving u.s. coins.
I know that the locals can not use them or exchange them.
It is also hard to get the message out to everyone traveling not to use u.s. coins.
I you have little room and can take them back to the states be kind and give up some paper money.:D Just a thought

U. S. Coins and damaged or heavily written-on bills have zero value in Mexico. I am sure that you can make their day by exchanging either with the locals, and then you can spend them in the U. S. without a problem.

I have noticed at a few local restaurants that have a tip jar, many people have been leaving u.s. coins.
I know that the locals can not use them or exchange them.
It is also hard to get the message out to everyone traveling not to use u.s. coins.
I you have little room and can take them back to the states be kind and give up some paper money.:D Just a thought

Is this just in Cozumel? I use US coins in Tijuana, Tecate and other border towns regularly. I've never been told nor even heard about any issue using them.

I only know what happens in this area and by that I mean what I have see from coz. cancun playa and merida tulum. No u.s. coins taken or exchanged at banks.
I would guess in boarder towns they take them to the u.s.

Edit: See below...

Last edited:
Actually, because there is a lack of US coins on the island, I know of two businesses off the top of my head that are always looking for US quarters: Aqua Safari (downtown location, there's a sign in the window asking for US quarters) and the Crew Office, an internet cafe that caters to crew members.

In general, most places will not accept US coins, but it is no longer the case that they are worthless here in Cozumel. Just about every local knows at least one gringo on the island who is willing to give a dollar bill in exchange for the appropriate amount of US coins.

Sally's correct. I often exchange clean US bills for coin and torn bills that people leave in the charity collection boxes -- I re-home the quarters & nickels and most businesses with a lot of cruise customers will happily accept them. (The balance goes back with me to the States.) Mega doesn't accept foreign coins.

Nice gesture, Ted - but seemingly unneeded.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom