Two transmitter pods on one tank??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bmmills

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This might be a silly or naive question.

I recently got my first dive computer with a remote AI tank transmitter pod. I love the functionality though as I’m aware that it makes me reliant on 2 batteries (in the watch and in the transmitter) I do run a backup computer that gives me air pressure via a HP hose.

I’ve read that most watch computers can sync to multiple pods. The use case most often marketed is to be able to see a dive buddy’s air status if they are close enough. But, does anyone dive with 2 transmitters on their own tank, to provide a level of safety if one of the transmitters die?

Thanks all!

If the transmitter fails it will be obvious, failure mode is disconnecting from the DC (as far as I know), so you just end the dive if it stops working. You should always know how much gas you have, and you should always have enough of a reserve to safely ascend sharing gas with a buddy, so making an ascent without being able to read gas should be a non-issue.

If the transmitter failed, I'd look at my SPG.
An AI transmitter is a convenience. I'm not throwing my SPG away because I have a AI computer. My buddy uses a Shearwater AI something-or-other, and he has a small SPG tucked away in his BC where he can use it if the AI Xmitter fails (and it has on several dives). "Lost connection" or "unable to connect" or something. He complains about it all the time.

There is no "level of safety" with only one device as unreliable as bluetooth IMHO.

Here's how I do it. One transmitter on the main tank, another on my pony bottle. Right wrist computer for main tank, left wrist for pony, and backup computer for my main tank in my BCD pocket.

So I've got 3 computers monitoring my Nitrogen exposure, with two independent transmitters. I also have a mini spg the size of a nickel on a thin miflex hose that runs next to, and is zip tied to my BCD inflator hose. That's more than enough redundancy. Especially given that I don't really need to know the remaining gas in my main tank since I've got a full pony bottle which is more than enough to reach the surface from recreational depth even in the case of an instantaneous complete catastrophic loss of gas from my primary cylinder.

I have never heard of anyone running 2 transmitters off a first stage and see no good reason to do so when there are better, simpler and more effective alternatives.

Here's how I do it. One transmitter on the main tank, another on my pony bottle. Right wrist computer for main tank, left wrist for pony, and backup computer for my main tank in my BCD pocket.

So I've got 3 computers monitoring my Nitrogen exposure, with two independent transmitters. I also have a mini spg the size of a nickel on a thin miflex hose that runs next to my BCD inflator hose so it's like "a half a hose". That's more than enough redundancy.

I have never heard of anyone running 2 transmitters off a first stage and see no good reason to do so.

Sounds like a whole lot of confusion and hassle. Glad I don't have that kind of money. LOL

Sounds like a whole lot of confusion and hassle. Glad I don't have that kind of money. LOL

I clarified the post a bit as I saw you posted you were confused.

Hope that helps.

By the way I use an earlier generation Oceanic computer, I've got a whole bunch of them, as I watch for them to come up for sale, and I pay between $50-75 per unit. Sure the extra tank and regulator is a few bucks but I do a lot of solo diving and I'm often inside a wreck so I need it.

I clarified the post a bit as I saw you posted you were confused.

Hope that helps.

By the way I use an earlier generation Oceanic computer, I've got a whole bunch of them, as I watch for them to come up for sale, and I pay between $50-75 per unit. Sure the extra tank and regulator is a few bucks but I do a lot of solo diving and I'm often inside a wreck so I need it.

It wasn't the process that confused me, Brother. It was the idea of so much "redundant" gear.
When I was on the job I carried a backup 380 on my ankle.
I knew one deputy who carried one on the ankle and another in the crotch. One man - three guns. Always thought that was way overkill.

I've always felt that the concept of redundancy meant simple, convenient, effective, and fast. When you have too much "redundency" then it becomes inventory.

But, does anyone dive with 2 transmitters on their own tank, to provide a level of safety if one of the transmitters die?
I think you'll find the best solution for this redundancy requirement is an SPG connected to your 2nd HP port. It's cheaper and more reliable. As long as your SPG and transmitter read roughly the same levels of gas, you can trust that your SPG is accurate if/when your transmitter fails...and safely continue your dive.

The issue with two transmitters is that if your computer fails, you're in a much bigger bind. Yes, it's another hose but it can be a short one clipped off to your left chest D-ring.

Hi @bmmills

You already have a backup for your gas pressure, why would you consider a 2nd transmitter? In addition, the 2nd transmitter would eliminate the HP port you are currently using for your backup. You did not state whether your backup is a hosed AI computer or a SPG in a console with a computer.

I've been diving a computer for 22 years. My first computer was a hosed AI computer. From 2002-10 I dived that, most of the time with a backup non-AI wrist computer.

In 2010, I replaced the hosed AI computer with a wrist computer and transmitter. I continued to use a non-AI wrist computer backup and added a backup SPG.

In 2019, I acquired a 2nd AI wrist computer that runs off the same PPS MH8A transmitter as my other computer (yes, the computer from 2010 is still running perfectly, 1939 dives, 2035 hours)

Some consider my setup overly conservative. I have used my backup SPG 17 times. Most of these were my own fault, but I have also had 2 transmitter failures in 14 years, one hardware failure and one over pressure valve failure. I have never lost a dive or interrupted a series of dives due to a computer or transmitter problem. I have not had the best of luck with my newest AI computer, it has been great that my old one has not had any problems.

Back
Top Bottom