Two issues while diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks again everyone.
I'll have my BC fitted properly next time. I know for a fact there wasn't any sand in the BC (it hadn't been checked out in over 6 months and the shop owner it really meticulous). Weighting may have also been the problem. There wasn't too much chlorine in the pool, but we were using about 10 lbs each.

In general, if you are using a bathing suit and you are not really heavy, you shouldn't require anywhere near ten pounds to sink in a freshwater pool. This is gross overweighting, and is common, because it is actually quite difficult to sit or kneel on the bottom and be stable unless you are quite a few pounds negative. It complicates neutral buoyancy tremendously, however, especially in the very shallow water of a pool, and almost no one in a bathing suit, wearing a ten pound weight belt, can get their feet off the bottom -- which makes me think you are doing some rather interesting things with your posture, to avoid being vertical, head-up.

I will parrot what others have said, make sure thence fits properly and snugly. Make sure everything cinched snugly, what I tell students is that you can wear the BCD loose and have the tank control you, or you can wear it snugly and control the tank.

Back
Top Bottom