• Google Authenticator App

• andOTP App

• LastPass Authenticator App

• Microsoft Authenticator App

• Other, please explain

• What is Two Factor Authentication?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Akimbo

Just a diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I am working on a thread for the Frequently Asked Questions forum and would like to get more insight into how members use 2FA. All comments are welcome. There is no time limit on the poll and your are can change your vote if you start using a different method.

Other helpful information:
What would have been useful before staring to use 2FA?
Do you use a 2FA app on other Websites?
What would you tell a friend before starting to se 2FA?

Thanks all.

You need to provide a universally acceptable to the end user system.

Email appears to be the lowest common denominator.

Phone call and texts do not work for many people that travel.

I use the e-mail option, because in my travels I am sometimes in places where I have e-mail, but not cell phone service. This is often because I'm out-of-the-country and too cheap to pay roaming costs for cell service, but have access to wifi. It's also possible to be somewhere without cell service.

And if I haven't had either for awhile, I've likely got hundreds of e-mails waiting to pounce on my Inbox. Switching my phone off Airplane Mode for a few minutes to get a code may result in a deluge of downloading e-mails...which might trigger a bill.

Be advised that the apps used for ScubaBoard's 2FA system don't need a cell or WiFi signal after they are installed. The app reads a QR code on the screen and generates the 6-digit code.

1634440820754.png

On the web I've used, email, google... I'd be happy to start using it here. If I were considering setting up 2fa for a website, I'd want at least 2, maybe three different methods, that were choices for the user at login. I.e. text, or email or google auth. offered as choices.

The sites that I've used that offer choices at login make it much easier. Usually I want a text, but sometimes I want an email.

2FA can prevent me from accessing many sites while at work during breaks, many restricted/no cellphone areas. Definitely need a non-phone method.

2FA should be reserved for sites where logging in gives you access to a user's financial accounts or extremely sensitive personal data such as medical records. There is no reason to require it on an anonymous forum.

2FA can prevent me from accessing many sites while at work during breaks, many restricted/no cellphone areas. Definitely need a non-phone method.
Once you have setup the key in your authenticator app, you don't need an internet connection.
Only the correct time on your phone.

Hi
it looks to me that SB (like a lot of other sites) has been taken over by some IT guy(s) who want(s) to make themself (ves) indispensable by creating more and more fences...
If sites are attacked why don't ITs develop background tools to protect them.
Asking people for 2FA is like the police asking people to get guns because they are not able to protect them.
An easy way out...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom