• Google Authenticator App

• andOTP App

• LastPass Authenticator App

• Microsoft Authenticator App

• Other, please explain

• What is Two Factor Authentication?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never used any of the other ones since the university chose it

I never had trouble with it and I seem to recall using it with a VPN but I’m not sure

Answering the poll, I use 1Password to store my 2FA tokens. Works very well.

(It could be argued that this reduces it to a single factor since passwords are also stored in 1Password; but to access 1Password you need not only my password but also to have and be logged in on one of my devices, so I think it's alright.)

Answering the poll, I use 1Password to store my 2FA tokens. Works very well.

Does it have the ability to scan the QR codes too? I currently use Dashlane for password management, but they don't do 2FA scanning and storage. I used 1Password years ago but can't remember why I switched.

Does it have the ability to scan the QR codes too? I currently use Dashlane for password management, but they don't do 2FA scanning and storage. I used 1Password years ago but can't remember why I switched.
It does, yes, but not easily when the QR code is shown on the computer and you’re using 1Password on that computer. So I usually hit “can’t scan” or similar and copy the underlying code during setup. But you could use the mobile app instead and then scan the QR.

I'm the IT guy for a fire department and have to administer MFA. Like was mentioned earlier, a QR code is offered by the hosting site. That is imported into any standard authenticator app of the person's choice (such as Google authenticator). Once that is done, the algorithm calculates a unique code based on both ends and a time of day. The phone does not need to be connected once it's set up. Basically both ends are doing the same calculation and creating the same code for you and if they match, it's you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom