Two Divers Die in Mexican Cenote

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

decoswife:
Hello everyone,

I am Kent's wife. I just want to start off thanking everyone whom has offered up their condolences and support. This past week has been incredibly difficult, I am short on time, as Kents' interrment is taking place this afternoon.

I have just located this board and have not yet had an opportunity to read all the posts on this thread.

I do, however, want to address the speculation and critism of Kent and Micheals training and skills. I am a PADI dive-master, but not cave trained, but I can tell you that Kent had over 40 specialty certifications, in PADI, NAUI, NSS, & TDI. He was a Master Scuba Diver Trainer in PADI, and had multiple specialty cave certifications in NSS.

He was also trained in Mexico by Steve Gerrard....Steve had himself invited Kent on the upcoming Labna-Ha expedition to map a newly discovered cave system.

I will follow-up reading the rest of the thread, and can expand on his qualifications at a later time.

Once again, thankyou for your support.

Wendy

Wendy,
My name is Bobby just as on my profile. If you research my posts you will find that I have made few regarding your situation. First let me say that I give my heart felt Condolences to you and your family.
All comments and opinions made were directed towards standards training and not the ability or performance of the people involved in the incident. I am involved in the present standards for cave procedures and invite input. I did not know the people involved and as stated in my earlier posts could only summize from what was stated.
I am most impressed by how you posted so objectively and will lend any support or comment. Thank you for your post and I hope that it is viewed as what it is.
I have read most if not all of the boards posts and have also talked with people that knew the divers in the water. As far as negative posts on experience or execution of the dive, if I may say, please refraine because it is not neccesary. The divers made mistakes but it was not from training or lack of dedication.

Bobby

Spectre:
No offense, but the accidents thread on TDS tries to leave personal feelings at the door, and have instructions that if you have personal ties to the accident, you probably shouldn't read the thread.

I think it better to point her to the Memorial thread on TDS: http://thedecostop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10599
I realize this! However, she has already found this, and I suspect if I were her I would not be able to just ignore it. Which is why I wrote that while we respect her loss, in this forum, we will be discussing the accident in detail.

AmyJ:
I realize this! However, she has already found this, and I suspect if I were her I would not be able to just ignore it. Which is why I wrote that while we respect her loss, in this forum, we will be discussing the accident in detail.

Thanks Amy, I have already "stuck my foot in it" on the TDS site....

My main concern, is the degree to which their training and habits are being attacked, especially by people who don't even know them.

Debate the scenarios....remember that things are rarely attributable to one single factor, it is a variety of factors that come into play to create a situation.

I, personally, am not looking to ASSIGN blame, just gain insight into what kind of enviroment they were in and the possibilites of the different things that could have gone wrong.

I encourage discussion of the accident in detail....I know that I will learn so much about the world which Kent loved... the world of cave diving... but lets keep the personal visciousness, and attacks out of it.... many of you are incredible cave divers, I am sure...I am using as a barometer the quality of the knowledge to which this accident is being debated; but many of you did NOT know Kent and Mike...and the quality of men that they were, the experience they had, the qualifications they had, their dedication, their respect for the sport and for those who did it well......

Once again, for those that have offered only support and condolences, thank you...I will pass your concern on to Mikes' wife.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom