Two divers critical - Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stupid question: could rebreathers be designed so that if the oxygen is turned off, the loop would be closed and you cannot take a single breath from the loop? It seems one issue is that you can have the oxygen off, and still seem to you that you are breathing normally, as your body cannot immediately sense what gas you are breathing. But your body can definitely sense if you cannot breathe at all. Turn off the oxygen valve, turn off the loop!

First, condolences to family and friends of deceased, and kudos to tbe 'rescuer'.

Re the above, can't find the story at link above, no doubt it has 'moved on' since your post with other stories taking its place.

And maybe I missed some post here also, as there is a red inked line that comes up saying "There are more posts to display. View them?" but when I click that nothing happens. So..........is it known what brand CCR he was on and his experience level?

And maybe I missed some post here also, as there is a red inked line that comes up saying "There are more posts to display. View them?" but when I click that nothing happens. So..........is it known what brand CCR he was on and his experience level?
You can click page 1 at the top or bottom here to start at the beginning, then click thru the pages.

First, condolences to family and friends of deceased, and kudos to tbe 'rescuer'.

Re the above, can't find the story at link above, no doubt it has 'moved on' since your post with other stories taking its place.

KD, the deceased was Brian Bugge, he was diving a Liberty, and he was under instruction. I don’t remember if he was mod II or Mod III.

He was carrying a camera.

Stupid question: could rebreathers be designed so that if the oxygen is turned off, the loop would be closed and you cannot take a single breath from the loop? It seems one issue is that you can have the oxygen off, and still seem to you that you are breathing normally, as your body cannot immediately sense what gas you are breathing. But your body can definitely sense if you cannot breathe at all. Turn off the oxygen valve, turn off the loop!

In theory you could, but you'd have to couple it with a pressure sensor and go by PPO2 (not by "off") and introduce another potential failure point. My biggest worry would be a false positive turning air off underwater -- not necessarily the best idea.

KD, the deceased was Brian Bugge, he was diving a Liberty, and he was under instruction. I don’t remember if he was mod II or Mod III.

From memory, he was doing one of the dives for his MOD2.

- brett

Thanks Wookie! I have been offline for sometime now, and I see the layout, etc, of the board has changed. Nice!!! So, I just hooked in not realsing it was that one (old thread). But now, IIRC, I have even commented somewhere in this thread along the way. Now whether that 'forgetfulness' is from too much watrer under the bridge, or too much time underwater, well, you can take your pick. :banghead: Thanks just the same though.

I'll just go stand in the corner again for a while now. :dork2:

Back
Top Bottom