Two divers critical - Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
There was chatter on Facebook about a rebreather fatality, but nothing confirming such has turned up on internet news that I can find. This article says the rescuer was injured descending rapidly, but I suspect it happen ascending.

2 injured in diving accident at Kewalo Basin
KEWALO BASIN, HAWAII (HawaiiNewsNow) -

Two people were injured in an apparent diving accident at Kewalo Basin on Sunday morning.

Around 8 a.m., a 35 year-old man from Washington state was found unresponsive during a scuba diving trip with a tour company. Those with him told paramedics that they had found him not breathing underwater.

Honolulu Emergency Medical Services took over after bystanders tried to perform CPR, and the man was taken to the hospital in critical condition.

Another 42-year-old man was also hospitalized after trying to rescue the 35-year-old before EMS came. He suffered injuries from his quick descent into the ocean, and was taken to the hospital in serious condition.

I can confirm there was a rebreather fatality yesterday. The rescuer was treated for minor injuries due to a rapid ascent in a chamber.

Family involved in this just came up as a rando for me via FB.
Emotional to say the least. Lots of mixed feelings about being able to do what you love but then there is a family without this presence now.
Be careful while you're out there, if not for you, for someone else.

I can confirm there was a rebreather fatality yesterday. The rescuer was treated for minor injuries due to a rapid ascent in a chamber.

In a chamber? I had read Hawaii had closed its chamber. Is this not correct?

Diver named in article with a little more info: Scuba diver dies after being pulled from Kewalo Basin
A 35-year-old scuba diver has died after he was found unresponsive in the water at Kewalo Basin.

The Honolulu Medical Examiner’s Office has identified him as Brian J. Bugge of Honolulu. The exact cause of death is pending.

Police said Bugge was found unresponsive in the water, approximately 100 yards offshore of Kewalo Basin sometime between 7:30 a.m. and 7:50 a.m. Sunday.

Emergency Medical Services said he was scuba diving when he was discovered unresponsive.

A 42-year-old man dove into the water and brought Bugge onto a boat. Cardiopulmonary resuscitation was performed on him until they reached a pier.

Emergency Medical Services treated and transported Bugge to a hospital in critical condition where he died.

Paramedics also transported the 42-year-old diver to a hospital in serious condition due to his quick descent into the ocean when he rescued Bugge.

Police said there were no signs of foul play.

Condolences to the family.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom