Two days in Tasmania: Bicheno or Eaglehawk Neck or both?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mountainsean

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi folks-

I'll be in Melbourne in early March for work and have a chance to break away for a few days to dive. I've done some diving in Queenscliff/Portsea area, so this time I thought I'd try to hop over to Tasmania. I probably only have time for two diving days, so I'm looking for advice on whether I should spend my brief time in Bicheno or Eaglehawk Neck? (In theory I might be able to squeeze in both if there are just "can't miss" dives in both places, but it's a lot of travel hassle so I'd rather avoid it.) Given the time of year, which would be the better choice to maximize fun and see things I don't get to see in typical tropical waters? Subjective question I know, but interested to hear opinions.

Thanks,
Sean

Bicheno and Eaglehawk Neck are both great places to dive. However, the effort and cost of going there for two days from Melbourne is probably not worth it. Why not dive Melbourne? Unless you take the ferry over, you will need four days to dive two days (one to travel, one to give 24 hour no fly). Even with ferry, you will need four to cover travel over and back.

If you really want to go, I would say just do one. I would pick Bicheno myself, but either would be great.

See my web site for articles about both places and some of the dive sites: http://www.michaelmcfadyenscuba.info/viewpage.php?page_id=3#tas

Thanks Michael. I've been to Melbourne before and done some diving down in the Queenscliff/Portsea area, which was nice, but I'd prefer a change of pace this time around. Getting to Tasmania just extends my initial travel arrival day, so I don't lose anything there. I do lose a day on the flight back due to the no fly time, but I figured I could use that time for some sightseeing.

Question for you - relative to the diving in Queenscliff/Portsea, how much better/different is the diving in Tasmania?

Thanks for the website link, I'll check it out!

-Sean

I have not done many dives in Melbourne, but somewhat similar I would say. Personally I found the Tasmania sites better.

For two days diving I would probably suggest Eaglehawk Neck, whilst both places offer great diving, Bicheno is more exposed to the weather and vis can be more finicky, has been very poor there for months now. At Eaglehawk Neck there are more options in poor weather and vis is often better, plus Eaglehawk Neck is only a 50minute drive from Hobart airport and the Eaglehawk dive centre will pick you up (see http://www.eaglehawkdive.com.au/), Bicheno is two hour drive away and will have to make your own way there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom