Two Cruiseboat Passengers Rescued after Fall off Ship

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course they don't want their names out. To fall that far into the ocean and remain concious is a pretty good lucky deal in itself.

Looks like Smokin's wife was right. That's still happening huh...?
Air Force cadet thankful for rescue after falling off cruise ship
By Rocky Mountain News

Air Force Academy Cadet Second Class Ernesto Guzman, who fell off the ninth floor of a cruise ship March 25 into the Gulf of Mexico off the coast of Texas, expressed thanks today for his rescue.

"First, I'd like to thank Princess Cruise Lines and the U.S. Coast Guard for all they did to ensure my safety following my fall," he said. "The combination of their quick response and my water survival training at the United States Air Force Academy combined to save my life during those five hours in the Gulf of Mexico."

He asked everyone to respect his privacy as he moves forward from the traumatic experience.

Guzman and Celeste Clarice Partee, 20, a sophomore sociology major at the University of Colorado, were on spring break when they apparently were re-enacting a scene from the movie Titanic and fell from the railing into the Gulf.
Partee suffered a broken rib and the couple had to tread water for five hours before they were rescued after passengers alerted the ship’s officials.

What they didn't say was that due to their idiotic and immature actions, they screwed up vacations for all other passengers, not only on the Princess ship, but the Carnival ship, which assisted in the search process. When they finally picked them out of the ocean and finally got to the port they were originally heading for, their stay was greatly shortened, meaning people did not get to take their shore excursions.

According to other passengers on the ship, it seems alcohol was a factor, as well. In fact, after their little escapade, they were partying so loudly that security was called to get them under control.

As far as I'm concerned, those two should have to pay some sort of restitution for their actions. Princess Cruise Lines needs to also take better control of these types of folks to hopefully prevent further incidents, or at least to reduce the likelihood of a repeated performance.

Yep and how much did the search cost - extra fuel and other expenses to cruise around looking for - but I'm not supposed to use deragatory pronouns here.

The AF Academy will not look kindly upon this. Apparently, they have already started a disciplinary investigation. From the Rocky Mountain News...

AFA cadet may face trouble after fall from cruise ship

By Associated Press
April 6, 2007
AIR FORCE ACADEMY - An Air Force Academy cadet who plunged 50 feet from a cruise ship balcony into the ocean could face disciplinary action after a school inquiry is complete.
"This will examine facts and circumstances," school spokesman Johnny Whitaker told The Gazette Thursday. "It is not a criminal investigation."
Cadet Ernesto Guzman, 22, and Celeste Clarice Partee, 20, fell from the balcony of Partee's cabin on Princess Cruises' Grand Princess about 150 miles off the Texas coast on March 25.
Partee, of Little Rock, Ark., is a sophomore at the University of Colorado. Both were rescued after about five hours in the water by boats launched from the ship

My wife and I heard, both on radio and on local news, that they were, ummm, consummating their relationship, when they fell overboard. Might explain why they were both naked in the water...

A report I read said that he was naked because he knew that his waterlogged clothing would eventually tire him out faster and sink him, so he took them all off. They didn't say that she was not clothed, so he must have kept his "survival training" to himself :wink:

I thought a pair of boxers wouldn't drag anybody under, but if he wasn't wearing any than it might actually be plausible.

The info I heard from a fellow passenger was that she was clothed, he was not.

Since this is in the Accidents forum where we learn from the mishaps of others....

I remember Drown Proofing from the Marines, and if I had clothes on - yeah, I'd get them off, but hang on to a piece to use a floating banner.

I think the Greek Ship wreck was a similar caliber story, but I started that thread in Non-Diving.

I've read that she was a certified lifeguard. If that is the case, she could have inflated her clothes to stay afloat. I had to do that back in '80 for my lifeguard cert and although I did it in a pool, I was able to stay afloat for 2 hours with no problem. The only clothing we were allowed to dump was our shoes. I know it's taught in AF water survival for pilots. I assume it's taught at the academy as well.

PalatkaBoy:
I've read that she was a certified lifeguard. If that is the case, she could have inflated her clothes to stay afloat. I had to do that back in '80 for my lifeguard cert and although I did it in a pool, I was able to stay afloat for 2 hours with no problem. The only clothing we were allowed to dump was our shoes. I know it's taught in AF water survival for pilots. I assume it's taught at the academy as well.
Seems like I was taught that with trousers at one time, don't know what she might have been wearing. Don't think it'd work with shorts or a skirt would it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom