Twin Lakes question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spencermm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Can anyone tell me how dive friendly this(these?) lake is?
We went to 288 Lake last weekend and was not terribly impressed. Saw no divers- just family oriented rec. swimming- which I have no problem with, just not what I'm looking for in a good local dive lake.
Thanks

Spencermm:
Can anyone tell me how dive friendly this(these?) lake is?
We went to 288 Lake last weekend and was not terribly impressed. Saw no divers- just family oriented rec. swimming- which I have no problem with, just not what I'm looking for in a good local dive lake.
Thanks

Did you pull off any dives at 288 lake? If so how about a Vis report.

Thanks in advance
Dave

Teknadv3x:
Did you pull off any dives at 288 lake? If so how about a Vis report.

Thanks in advance
Dave
I just got my c card last weekend. We were there 2 weekends ago, so we just snorkled on the rec side of the lake(lots of people on that side stiring up the water. Dive area is on opposite side of lake and is supposedly restricted from rec. swimming.)
Vis where we were was about 6-8 ft.
Spencer

i did my open water dives at Twin Lakes 2 weekends ago as well. On Saturday, viz was probably 8 feet. On Sunday, it was about 4 feet before you could no longer discern who your partner was. With all of this rain, there was just so many people at twin lakes trying to get certs done that it silted up everything. I must say I was extremely happy learning from Gigglin Marlin as we only had 4 people total doing certs. I saw one group that I counted at least 13 people with only 2 instructors.

Spencer, Twin Lakes is 100x more diver friendly. You have to understand that viz in Texas lakes is going to generally be about 15 feet at best, and all the rain creates runoff that carries sediment into the lake and stirs up the bottom, making it even worse. Be happy with 10 feet, focus on macro life. Low viz lake diving will make you a better diver so you can better enjoy your blue water dives.

Twin Lakes is oriented for divers with a platform for swimmers set up in a corner on the far side of the lake. It has an onsite compressor for air fills and tank rentals. There are covered picnic tables and about 5 or 6 diver entry platforms. Most of this stuff was built in the last few years and looks brand new. There are also several gear benches.

Below the surface there are about a dozen objects like boats, trailers, jetskis, etc. to check out. There are three training platforms suspended by buoys. It's not the best scuba park I've seen but it's a decent place to get wet locally.

ReefHound:
Spencer, Twin Lakes is 100x more diver friendly. You have to understand that viz in Texas lakes is going to generally be about 15 feet at best, and all the rain creates runoff that carries sediment into the lake and stirs up the bottom, making it even worse. Be happy with 10 feet, focus on macro life. Low viz lake diving will make you a better diver so you can better enjoy your blue water dives.

Twin Lakes is oriented for divers with a platform for swimmers set up in a corner on the far side of the lake. It has an onsite compressor for air fills and tank rentals. There are covered picnic tables and about 5 or 6 diver entry platforms. Most of this stuff was built in the last few years and looks brand new. There are also several gear benches.

Below the surface there are about a dozen objects like boats, trailers, jetskis, etc. to check out. There are three training platforms suspended by buoys. It's not the best scuba park I've seen but it's a decent place to get wet locally.

Reefhound, thanks for the report on Twin Lakes. We will definetely check it out.
My checkouts last weekend were in Huntsville at Blue Lagoon. It was the antithesis of 288 Lake- quiet, serene, more aesthetic. They too had training platforms with buoys. Vis was about 10-15 at 20 ft. I want to go back and check out the submerged boats there.
Being from Houston you have probably dived there, yes?

Many times. Blue Lagoon is nice, beautiful scenery topside. You can camp there overnight. The viz is more variable, as low as 5' and as much as 20'. As you may have noticed, virtually lifeless but several submerged objects to check out. It's a good place for a picnic and skills practice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom