Twilight dive on Wednesday: 12-17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Jamie, just FYI, Flat Rock is not really a good place to do a shore dive....if you are taking a boat/kayak out there, it would be an awesome dive (I think)! You have two options....only one of which is feasible with dive gear. The first would be to walk all the way down the trail, and then all the way back to Flat Rock....the second would be to walk the beginning of the trail to the point where it splits off and goes straight to Flat Rock. The problem with this is that the trail to Flat Rock is not nice, and I can't imagine it could honestly be done in full dive gear. Maybe if you were free diving, but not with a tank and stuff on your back! At least I know I couldn't.

But we bought a kayak earlier this year and plan to buy another one, specifically to dive in that area without having to make the trek!

Thanks for the info,Nicole.I have a cobra tandem kayak, but I have never attempted to dive from it.Let me know if you and Stephen ever try it and how it goes.How does Old Marineland sound for Sunday?

I can't beleave what a wuzz you've become. :mooner:

If the swells stay small I'd like to try the point at OML if I can talk Robert into it if he dives Sun. If he doesn't I'm definitely up for OML.

John

Hey John, do you know OML well enough to lead this dive? I do not, as I have not been there in a long time. I am willing to give it a try. I'm sure that it would be a lot of fun.Thanks.Jamie

First, yes I can but only from the cobble beach. I've like to do the point especially if it stays flat. And yes OML is doable at low tide if it's fairly flat. Mybe we can get Ken to come out Sun & lead a dive from the point.

John

Do you guys have a cart or anything to haul your gear down to the site? From what I hear, it's not an easy site to schlep all your gear down (and back up) on your back. I'm planning on buying a dolly/cart from Harbor Freight in early January (after we get back from Seattle) so we can do the site as soon as possible. Unfortunately, I know I would not be able to make that hike, especially on the way up when I'm all wet and tired.

BTW, Ken and Dette did the dive yesterday on low tide....they said it's a bit more difficult, but doable. I think they were going out again this morning, so I don't know if they'd be down to go again tomorrow. Maybe....and if so, maybe I'll consider....but I just envision myself laying down and dying on the trail back up! :wink:

Hey guys, I do not have a cart to haul my gear, but I am willing to do the walk down anyway.How do the rest of you feel about doing it?

Get something with big wheels! We have a Stanley tool box that fits both HP130's and all our other gear, but it's not good for rough terrain, which is what Marineland is. Part of the trail is nice packed dirt, but then it gets rough....someone's cart made it part way off the nice part, and then the wheel broke off right away....Ken ended up schlepping his gear in his cart afterwards. So make sure you get big, rugged wheels....not little wussy wheels like on my Stanley box!

Check out this thread for ideas...

Back
Top Bottom