Tusa charging $90 for "under warranty" reg service!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paperdesk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
There are no Tusa dealers anywhere near my home in NorthEast WA, so I sent my reg, first and one second stage to Tusa for service. They are charging me $50 for first stage and $40 for second! This is $90 for just labor, parts are free! I feel like I've just been ripped off! What should I have done differently! If it's always like this I might as well not do service and just buy a new reg every two years, since it only cost me a couple hundred in the first place for my Platina RS-130.

Any suggestions? Are they overcharging me or is this what is normal if you send it to Tusa? Is there anywhere else I could send it for less since my LDS don't support Tusa?

Thank you one and all!

Ted

paperdesk:
There are no Tusa dealers anywhere near my home in NorthEast WA, so I sent my reg, first and one second stage to Tusa for service. They are charging me $50 for first stage and $40 for second! This is $90 for just labor, parts are free! I feel like I've just been ripped off! What should I have done differently! If it's always like this I might as well not do service and just buy a new reg every two years, since it only cost me a couple hundred in the first place for my Platina RS-130.

Any suggestions? Are they overcharging me or is this what is normal if you send it to Tusa? Is there anywhere else I could send it for less since my LDS don't support Tusa?

Thank you one and all!

Ted

Where did you buy it???/ On-line maybe?????

Wayward Son:
Why didn't you sent it back to scubatoys for service? Larry only charges about $40 to service the regs he sells.

I would send it to Scuba Toys as well. As a rule I always make sure the seller is going to service the product as well.

Oh! Somehow I didn't realize SCUBA Toys offered that! I'll definately do it next time! I'm also wondering if you think this would be standard for TUSA, or is some employee making a mistake?

Prolly their std rates.

Typically under warranty you pay for labor, parts are covered. I dunno the specifics about TUSA's warranty. But the shop can charge whatever they want for service. What TUSA is charging is, IMO, high. The LDS's I deal with don't charge that much, but I've heard of some who do.

TUSA may be willing to provide service if you can't get it locally, but charges a high rate to discourage people from using them. If they charge competetive rates, then they start competing with their dealers for service work, and the dealers would not appreciate that.

Makes sence wayword. Guess you learn some the hard way!

You could always contact Scubatoys about your situation - there's a slew of posts on this board with how well they have sorted out less than clear situations for their customers. Nothing to lose by doing so.

FYI, I have had ONE experience with a shop charging me similar fees for PARTS ALONE - then adding labor - which I wrote off as my learning the hard way by not requesting rates when I dropped off the regs to start with. Much like jumping into a scuba vacation spot taxi and only telling the driver my desired destination, without negotiating before the wheels start turning. I too should have known better at my age - just happens sometimes.

The regs in my story were pre-owned, no warranty issues. but I found a different authorized dealer who charged about 1/3 the fees for the same exact parts and service.

The first shop I mentioned changed ownership after a couple of years, but I stuck with the shop that treated me right - once sold, I stayed sold on a service provider.

Back
Top Bottom