Turtles leave Akumal before the Festival?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dectek

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Listen to anybody and they will tell you there is ALWAYS Turtles in Akumal Bay.
I have seen Turtles many times while diving and I really wanted to be with my wife when she saw her first Turtle while snorkeling. (her first Ray, Starfish, shark, and lobsters where great).
It was amazing to me to watch her swim into a LARGE school of at least 50 barracuda and just watch the group part as she swam through and reform behind her as if it were choreographed. BTW... she WILL NOT DIVE!!!!!!!
OK OK...Back to Akumal
I take her to Akumal for a 100% chance of siting. Spent a little over an hour and a half checking out the grassy area and slowly moved out to the reef and saw Zero. Came in for a break before stopping in at Yal-ku and asked a local on the beach if the turtles were seen more in the morning or afternoon and was told there was ALWAYS turtles in Akumal bay, but it is better in the morning because less snorkelers churning things up.
Gear up..... Back in the water.... 2 more hours... Quietly swimming and or floating around.
Saw plenty of fish, Thousands of sea urchins(farther out), dozens of beautiful Squid, some type of shrimp, and what looked part sea horse type creature and part crude stick figure a grade school student made.
We also found a snorkel, two cigarette lighters, and a 1 peso coin.

Saw no Turtles that day but learned a valuable lesson. It is very hard to Fly when the back of your legs look like a freshly Steamed Lobster.:furious:
We always wear rash guards while snorkeling but forgot to reapply some biodegradable sunscreen on the legs for the second session. Better to get burned on the last day of vacation then the first I guess. The hard part is explaining the Booty lines on my legs to fellow workers.
My wife sat in a tub of Ice water before going to bed and then again in the morning before heading off to the airport. Never heard her complain about her sunburn once.

Where have all the Turtles gone, Long time passing.
Where have all the Turtles gone, Long Time ago.
Where have all the Turtles gone, Tourists have scared them away.
When will they ever learn, When will they ever learn.
Where have all the tourists gone:jazzband:

Last edited:
You are actually the second group this week that I hear this from!!! And YES, there are always turtles in the bay. Very interesting.... On the flip side, we've been seeing more and more turtles at Tortugas dive site! I'm sure that will all change once tourism picks up again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom