Turtle Conservation Project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How neat...!

Would love to get involved with this sometime down the road when I'm on the island at the right time.

It's amazing those little turtles can dig their way out of those deep holes. I wonder if humans digging them out will affect future generations in some unforeseen negative way?

I wonder if humans digging them out will affect future generations in some unforeseen negative way?

We wondered that too, but after digging up several nests where all the eggs were bad, or where only a few turtles were still making their way out, I think we're only increasing their odds of survival. There were also a few hungry crabs that were kept at bay for the time being, so I'm thinking we're just giving them a few extra percentage points towards making it.

We wondered that too, but after digging up several nests where all the eggs were bad, or where only a few turtles were still making their way out, I think we're only increasing their odds of survival. There were also a few hungry crabs that were kept at bay for the time being, so I'm thinking we're just giving them a few extra percentage points towards making it.

Yep - that's exactly what the biologists leading up the project told us. I've been out a few times this year and will be taking a group over there tomorrow to help with the efforts. This is true Discovery Channel/Nat Geo stuff - while the photos and videos are great, I think those who have experienced it first hand will agree that they don't even do this magical event justice - nature is truly amazing!

I understand about improving the survival odds of the current generation but was thinking more longterm as in evolutionary development of the species. By digging them out now are we weakening the species longterm by eliminating that initial struggle where the strongest survive? I'm not saying I'm against the current conservation effort and will likely participate myself when the chance arises but merely thinking about the longer term ramifications.

I understand about improving the survival odds of the current generation but was thinking more longterm as in evolutionary development of the species. By digging them out now are we weakening the species longterm by eliminating that initial struggle where the strongest survive? I'm not saying I'm against the current conservation effort and will likely participate myself when the chance arises but merely thinking about the longer term ramifications.
Yes, if they were not endangered, it be a questionable practice. As few as there are now, many still being killed by mankind one way or another, preserving the species and a wide gene pool is more important even if we have to dig out all of them from now on.

There's a fraudulent email making the "forward this" rounds showing Costa Ricans digging up turtle eggs and carting them off - claiming to be looting. The truth is that the people are digging them up as a protective measure so they can be hatched in a secure atmosphere, not looted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom