Turtle Conservation Project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Booth22,

Thanks for the videos of the Turtle Conservation Project:) Just showed it in Science class:)

We were treated to this as well through the Blue Angel - it was truly one of the highlights of the trip. I hope you bought a tshirt - all the money goes to support the program. Hopefully, we will be back next September and get to do it again!

Attachments

• Cozumel 2010 184.jpg
    Cozumel 2010 184.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 38
Booth, thanks so much for posting this. Even with all of the scuba diving, this turned into a highlight for my wife and me.
Christi, thanks for giving me directions!!

The biologist is interested in viewing the video, but is having trouble finding it. If one of you "locals" get some time, I'd bet he'd love to see the video.

My wife and I went there yesterday afternoon and we had a great time. Lots of empty egg shells. Found two that were slow getting out of the nest. Learned to dig a hole and not a pit. Arms gonna be sore....

The whole family got turtle conservation t-shirts as souvenirs. I hope this project is still going on in December when the kids are coming back with us.

turtles1.JPG

Any idea on how much longer the turtles will be hatching? Coz is still a few weeks away for us, but would love to check this out if it's still going on in mid-November.

Any idea on how much longer the turtles will be hatching? Coz is still a few weeks away for us, but would love to check this out if it's still going on in mid-November.

Kat - the last eggs are supposed to be hatching on or around November 15th so only for about another week :(

Terry - the project will be done for the year by the time you get back with the kids. Glad I could help and glad you had a great time - your video is GREAT!

If I am not mistaken - the turtles start laying the eggs in June/July (or this may be when they start hatching). From the time the mama turtles bury the eggs - it's 50 - 55 days for them to hatch and release. This year there were record numbers of eggs and nests which is why the hatchings are still going on.

This is truly Nat Geo/Discovery channel stuff - so it should be added to your Cozumel bucket list for sure if you are fortunate enough to be here during the season!

Thanks Christi! Bummed that we'll be too late, but glad to hear it's a banner year for the little guys! Just from the vids you can tell they are SOOO cute!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom