Turneffe Island Resort count down, what do I need to pack or know?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't aim the ring directly at the hook. It'll just bounce right off.

My understanding is that Belize customs is far more concerned that tourists will be selling things that they bring with them and even have a problem with gifts.

When we first started traveling to dive (20+ years ago) I read stuff like that, and was concerned at first. Then I read more and did a bunch of dive trips, and haven't worried about it in a long time. I don't know about what you are seeing specifically, but that sort of statement is far from new, or unique to Belize. I think of it as a CYA thing on their side, they have something written to point to if they did want to make an issue of something.

My understanding is, if you are bringing a number of items, especially the same type, especially with original packaging, anything that looks like it might be something you plan to sell or pass along to someone there, it might attract attention. But I've never seen or heard of visiting divers anywhere having problems with a camera, laptop and a set of dive gear. A large proportion of travelers in general have laptops, phones, cameras, and lots of other expensive gadgets. I'd be surprised if anyone is registering anything like that, and you never hear of issues.

The statement on customs makes absolutely no sense. I am not saying it is a bad idea, but it makes no sense. I know many frequent visitors bring electronic items to their friends in Belize, laptops, cell phones, cameras, ect. However, the suggested measures do not seem to counteract that. They seem to be oriented towards protecting US Citizens from having to pay US Duty on items that they bring back to the US. I cannot imagine anyone buying an expensive, electronic gadget in Belize to bring home. Those types of goods are 2-3 times MORE expensive in Belize. I would suggest not bringing any expensive items into Belize in unopened original packaging. Belize Customs will be searching bags when you arrive. You probably will not get searched, but if you have 5 new Iphones new in box in your bag, you will have some splaining to do. The Duty Free in the luggage claim area at BZE does have decent deals on booze. If you wanted to take some to TIR, you could buy it there before going through Customs and take it with you to the island.

Thanks for all the information and tips so far!

In regard to the tipping and the sheet, do you break up the tips in little piles, so much for this person, so much for that person or do you total it all up and leave one amount and it get's divvyed up to them by the resort? If it's a single total can you use a credit card, add it to your bill or do you have to bring cash?

Are you going to be here until the 12th? Full moon?

If so, you're in for a huge congregation of snappers. They will be gathering before but after the full moon they're….in honeymoon mode or something and act pretty nonchalant. HUGE cuberas.

Not sure if they're scared of you bubble blowers though. Based on the fish reactions,I think some of the resort workers might be spearing dinner on scuba in the late evening when no one is around. I have seen them bug out when my buddy dove down on scuba (no spear gun) to see what was over the wall at the Elbow. 20 minutes after he was back on the boat they came back. But they're not so afraid of free divers going down 60-70 feet.

At one time you can see up to 50 plus permit, 200 dog snapper (lutjanus jocu) mutton snapper, cubera snapper (L cyanopterus) by the thousands, 50-70 horse eye jacks (12-18 lbs) and another school of small ones on the bottom….up to 1000 or so, spade fish, occasional large king mackerel cruising through, cero mackerel cruise by…..it's an unreal spot. I think it's God's special little aquarium.

Thanks for all the information and tips so far!

In regard to the tipping and the sheet, do you break up the tips in little piles, so much for this person, so much for that person or do you total it all up and leave one amount and it get's divvyed up to them by the resort? If it's a single total can you use a credit card, add it to your bill or do you have to bring cash?

My memory is that the day before you leave, they will drop off a bill that reflects your drinks, any rental gear, trips taken, etc for the week so you have time to check it over and make sure it's accurate. They will also drop off a tip sheet that shows the different categories of employees and you list how much you want to tip for each category unless you're going to pay cash. Maybe you write in the name(s) of your dive guides/boat captain and/or fishing guide, I can't remember.

Then you drop by the office that afternoon and settle up. Any drinks you charge after that you pay for the next morning before getting on the boat.

Because you'll develop a more personal relationship with your boat captain and dive guide, you might want to do as I do and give those guys cash because as someone once put it, "Cash is always mo' better" and put the other tip(s) on your credit card. On the other hand, cash is a precious commodity when you're in a foreign country so feel free to put it on the card if you prefer. I talked to them about it once because there was a very old review on Trip Advisor that said there was a rumor the employees didn't get their tips if you put it on the card. They were surprised to hear that and assured me that they didn't think that was ever the case.

You'll have the same boat captain and dive guide all week. Brad and Marcel like to switch off, so one week Brad's the captain and Marcel's the guide, then vice-versa the next. On the other boat, John doesn't like to scuba so he's the captain and Daniel's the guide. All four are great. John is somewhat shy and his accent is really thick, so he doesn't talk a lot unless he's had a few beers in which case you can't shut him up, lol. He's also as big as a house, so he's a bit intimidating but he's really just a big teddy bear. Usually there's only one boat used for the night dive since only a couple of divers are interested, so the two crews take turns doing that.

Back to cash, one really nice thing about staying at TIR is it's paid for 45 days in advance of you setting foot on the island. Assuming you're flying in just before you get on the boat and flying out the same day you leave the island, you don't need to bring a lot of cash with you. Tips and incidentals, that's about it. Don't forget the $35 exit tax at the airport, lol. I heard they used to require cash (!), but now you can put that on the card, too.

If you're really going to be hanging around the Radisson rather than the Princess Marina for a couple of hours, you'll be close enough to the core of the city to go take a look while you're waiting for the transfer. I'd recommend walking to the seawall, turn right, check out the Baron Bliss Monument, continue on and you'll see "Tourism Village," keep going and you'll see Sea Sports Dive Shop, keep going and you'll see the Swinging Bridge. Continue over the bridge, walk past the square and check out the Supreme Court Building and the park just past it. Assuming you've come this far, about a 20 minute walk, you might want to continue to the Governor's House on the left and St Johns Cathedral on the right a few more blocks down. Peek in the church. It's very cool. Then walk back the way you came.

If instead you're stuck at the Princess Marina, walk along the seawall to the Baron Bliss Monument, then turn around and go back. You might cut across the street and walk through the somewhat dilapidated neighborhood but don't go into it more than a block or so. There are some cool things to see in there, like the old prison now a museum and the old American Embassy but they're a little hard to find if you don't know your way around.

Last edited:
Great info guys!

I'm just taking a 3m shorty, I'm 5'-10" 180lbs, I assume I'll be fine in that.

Lots of jellies in the water two weeks ago. I was happy in my full 3mm but YMMV.

If I wear a suit on a day dive, it's my 2mm shorty but typically I just dive in my bathing suit and t-shirt. Water temperature should be well above 80 degrees.

But there were always folks on the boat wearing 3mm full suits, and they didn't complain about being overheated.

Last time I was in Belize, we had an anthropologist from Ohio join us for a day. He was on holiday from working a Mayan site in the jungle. He was dressed in a long sleeve shirt and slacks on the boat and by golly that's what he wore on the dive.

Like Chilly said, ymmv, lol.

Back
Top Bottom