Turneffe Island Resort count down, what do I need to pack or know?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just a few days left to fly out to TIR for a well deserved week of diving and vegging out.

Anything I should know, pack, expect, tips to know?

I plan on packing my collapsible pocket fisherman rod to play around with since this is a huge salt water fly fishing place. Other than that, swimsuits, T-shirts, sun screen...

Leave the rod at home, no fishing from the island. Pack like a live aboard. Be aware the bar drinks are good and expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Small us bills for tipping at bze and on the way out.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Leave the rod at home, no fishing from the island.

Seriously? Can't fish from the docks, no places to walk to, a rocky point? I don't have to go after bone fish. When you say no fishing from the island does that mean it's prohibited or just not physically possible?

Prohibited. Snorkel around the docks. There are several bat fish there that you will not see on any dives to the reefs.

Dang it.

Thanks for the heads up.

---------- Post added June 25th, 2014 at 06:39 PM ----------

What's with this from their website?

United States citizens: To avoid paying duty on the foreign-made high-ticket items you already own and will take on your trip to Belize, register them with customs before you leave the country. Consider filing a certificate of registration for items such as laptops, cameras, watches, and other digital devices identified with serial numbers or other permanent markings; you can keep the certificate for other trips. Otherwise, bring with you a sales receipt or insurance form to show that you owned the item before you left the United States.

---------- Post added June 25th, 2014 at 06:43 PM ----------

Looks like we will have a few hours to kill between arrival and transportation to the resort. Looks like they want us to hang out at the Radisson.

If we have 3 or 4 hours can we grab a cab and head to the zoo or something instead, not sure on the logistics and proximities of anything close by.

No clue. No problems with my dive gear, cameras or laptops in the past 6 years.

---------- Post added June 25th, 2014 at 08:45 PM ----------

Hanging at the Radisson is a drag. The zoo is interesting, but you will need time, seems like 4 hours if I remember.

Wind has just been howling off shore Belize for well over a month. My reading of Turneffe Flats recent report indicates there's been little change. Small bills for tips. Pack for liveaboard sounds about right though perhaps throw in some clothes for dressing for dinner (as you would on some liveaboard)

I think the zoo might be too much to definitely be back in time. I might spring for a round trip flight from the Municipal airport over to San Pedro or Caye Caulker just for the view from the air.

We've been there three times... and love it. Pack light... the place is informal, but folks do "dress" for dinner... i.e. shorts/collared shirt typically.

As stated, the only fishing is with a guide, away from the property. You can go for a half-day as an add-on I think... I am not a fisherman, but I gather it's pretty great fishing.

And yes, the drinks are stupid/unjustifiably expensive. The only reasonable drink is the draft Belikin, and the drink of the day. Otherwise... $12 US per... nuts. (Don't tell anyone, but I've heard that certain repeat guests have been known to fly in with rum in plastic bottles to top up the free and plentiful lemonade, after diving, and before heading to the bar for a pre-dinner drink. Just a rumour I'm sure... You would need to bring this from home though since you go straight from the airport to the boat... errr, guess, anyway.)

Tipping is a delicate subject. Much like the drinks, there is a certain amount of pressure to tip everyone that works at the place, including all sorts of people that you will never see, and may not actually exist. And by "pressure", I mean a published list with suggested amounts. Mrs. Stoo is sitting right here and our joint recollection is that these tips added up to about $500 - $600 per couple. Having said that, we tipped as we do everywhere... Our two dive guys, the bartender and our servers... Maybe $300 - $350 total. It's a strange thing, this suggested tipping. Considering the price of the place, I think it's unwarranted and unprofessional.

Mrs. Stoo has just reminded me that we take some prescription wide-spectrum antibiotics, Polysporin, a few dressings etc. This place is pretty far out, and an ear infection or something can become very expensive to get treatment. We also take some mosquito coil to burn in the room while we go out for dinner. Bugs weren't an issue for the most part in March, but they could be at this time of year. It's a good way to fumigate your room.

Also, I think mini-fridges are available in rooms on request. I suggest you get one. We usually take some snacks etc with us and it's a good place to keep them cool and away from creepy-crawlies.

I should point out that in-spite of these minor criticisms, TIR remains one of our two favorite places in the Caribbean. It's the only place we have returned to three times, and will do it again I'm sure.

And yup, we're jealous.

I have a couple of reports on here about our trips, with some pics... search them out.

And say hi to Brad, Marcel, George and the gang from Stu and Kelly!

Been twice and hope to join Stoo in a three peat some day soon. Problem is, Placencia is just too much fun to pass up.

You could maybe get away with fishing on the "service" side of the island. It's not like they would kick you off the island, lol. But if you're diving, you won't have much time to fish anyway. There are no rocky points, btw. Either sand or mangroves.

Take some bug repellant, but you probably won't need it because the wind rarely dies down. But if it does you'll be glad you did.

Tipping is a bit of a sore subject. I don't know that I would call it pressure, but in your room or cabana you'll find a "Suggested Tipping Sheet," which will give a suggested range of tips and will include everyone from the diving/fishing guides, at the high end on down to the housekeepers (so far so good) to the kitchen staff (hey wait a minute, they double as the housekeepers) to the maintenance crew (seriously?) to the groundskeeper crew (hey, wtf?). The service is excellent, and I consider myself a pretty generous tipper but I've never tipped a maintenance crew or groundskeeper. Use your own discretion. It's not like anyone's going to hassle you or even ask about it.

Keep in mind that tipping is a nearly uniquely American custom. I have it on pretty good authority from a number of sources that almost no one else tips. The crew and staff are aware of this, but I've never seen any difference in the level of service, which is to their credit. And TIR attracts people from all over the world.

The drinks are high. I think taxes and gasoline have a lot to do with it, but they do take advantage of a captive, thirsty audience. So I tend to hold off drinking, then party like hell with the staff on a night of our choosing. We kept George the bartender up to 3 am the first time. The second time the owner had instituted a (stupid) no fraternizing with the guests rule on the staff, so we partied at their quarters. Management can stop the staff from hanging with me, but they can't stop me hanging with them. Ask Uncle John about walking down the stairs backwards. He'll get a big laugh. Those guys work hard, and they play hard, too.

Say hi to Brad, Marcel, John, Daniel, George and all the gals for Downing and Carol. Tell Brad I'll likely drop by Cheers August 15 or 16 if he wants to hook up.

You're going to have a blast. Be sure to write a trip report.

Don't forget your flip flops. Leave them at the Lodge, so you can wear shoes to dinner (and kick them off under the table once you sit down). It's always a strange feeling putting on shoes again upon departure.

You could spend your time in Belize City fishing like these guys, right off the Swinging Bridge:

IMG_0630.jpg

Make friends with George, the bartender. He'll treat you right.

IMG_1099.jpg

P.S. Regarding the advice about Customs, that must be new. I haven't heard of any issues with cameras, laptops, etc. It's not as if you can buy that stuff down there, at least not easily, and I've never had Customs even peek at my stuff. I think it's a non-issue but would love to hear if anyone's had a bad experience lately since I'm headed down there soon.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom