Turks & Caicos Trip Report 2/13/08 - 2/19/08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim Ingersoll

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So your asking yourself why did I go to the Caribbean for six days rather than a full week? Well its cause Delta oversold the flight and we got BUMPED! Thats why. What airline oversells a Sprink Break Saturday morning flight? I learned that if you can't confirm your seat assignment over the internet then you are flying stanby. Won't make that mistake again. The best they could do was give us a cab ride to Pittsburgh (5 hours) and put us up at the airport Hyatt for an early morning flight to Atlanta then Provo. How's it going so far?

Well the kids thought it was great and we made lemonade from lemons. They got to watch movies and get room service. I asked them their favorite part of the vacation and they both put that night in the top three. Go figure.

We stayed at the Royal West Indies Resort in a one bedroom suite with a pullout couch. Perfect for a family of four. The room are large and pretty warm and welcoming for a Provo resort. The room had a full kitchen and dining area. There was a balcony overlooking the quiet pool, a room safe, washer/dryer, CD Player, DVD player and microwave. Overall a great setup. There is a library of movies and books in the lobby for free. There are two pools (one quiet/one family), a bar, a restaurant and free internet access. The food at the restaurant was decent and fairly reasonably priced. I generally price a mixed drink to get a sense of prices. A frozen drink ran $7.00 and a beer was a little less. Be prepared, prices for food and drink are high. Breakfast for two with juice and coffee will generally run over $60.00 with tip.

I highly reccommend renting a car for at least a day and maybe the week since many of the restaurants aren't really accessible by foot. You can also get to the IGA Supermarket and stock up on breakfast and lunch stuff to try and save money. The rental car costs $60.00 a day or $340.00 a week. You can rent from Avis and pickup at the airport or the concierge can arrange to have one delivered to the resort.

There is a nice beach access at the front of the resort and seemed to be plenty of chairs and umbrellas for baking in the sun. Grace Bay is still one of the most beautiful in the world but having been going for years I will offer the quote of my son who said "everything has gotten bigger and smaller." The beach is now fairly crowded with large resorts and more are on the way although locals said that the housing bubble had burst there as well as in the US.

We ate at the resort (2X), Coco Bistro, Caicos Cafe (2X) and Danny Buoys (1x). All are in the Ports of Call area and within ten minutes drive/thirty minute walk. If you want a romantic experience Coco Bistro is amazing. Caicos Cafe serves wonderful if a bit pricey food. Danny Buoys offers Irish Pub style dining. All were good and highly recommended. Service has improved markedly on the island and is much more Western that it used to be. Remember that it is rude to charge into a conversation with staff. Always begin any conversation with a pleasant "How are you today?" and you will find that it all goes so much better. Keep in mind that everything moves on a clower timetable. Leave the NY impatience in the States.

Okay so the diving. I dove with Fifi at Caicos Adventures. I'm a little biased since I've been diving with him once or twice a year since 1996. He runs a very professional op and has two of the big catamarrans that are the best day diving platforms I've ever had the pleasure of diving on. You can have 15 divers on the boat and never really feel crowded. He runs the boats out of the south dock to French Cay, SW Reef, West Caicos and the boat channel between Provo and West Caicos. The DM's were friendly and very professional. The only other op I've dived with on the island used to be Art Pickering's Provo Turtle Divers. Art sold it since and runs some more excursion based stuff.

I dove three days out of the six I was there. I dove once at French Cay (sites: Rock n Roll and French Cay Gardens) and West Caicos twice (sites: Boat Cove twice, the Driveway and the Gulley). All sites were wall dives. Max depths were 100 feet. The bottom over the abyss was over a mile straight down. Water temp. was 78-80 F. Very litle current or surge. My only complaint was that your dive day can be long. I got picked up by the CA bus at 8:00 AM and usually got back a little after three. That can cause friction if you are with family. I learned to be very up and raring to go for a family activity when I got back even though I was tired.

We had spotted dolphins swimming with the boat on the way out one day and a monstrous tiger shark (est. 12 feet) in the ten foot sand shallows on another. We were grabbing fins and snorkels to jump in when Fifi pulled away (can you blame him?). Two of the coolest sightings on the trip for me and I wasn't even in the water!

Saw lots of big stuff (sharks, eagle rays, turtles) on almost every dive and the DM's were very good at critter hunting and pointing things out (pipe shrimp, cleaner shrimp, arrow crabs, lobsters, green and spotted morays, southern stingrays, flounders, Flamingo Toungues, etc.). My air consumption was really good and I was able to eek a couple dives of over an hour out of an AL80. Personal best for me. The DM's were raving about a whale shark and a manta ray they had seen and photographed the month before and had the pictures to prove it. Proof positive that the more you dive the more you have a chance to see.

Overall a great dive trip that got off to a rough start. I highly recommend Provo as a dive destination and Caicos Adventures as a dive operation. I look forward to returning again next year.

Good report. Makes me look forward even more to my trip next week.

The diving there at T&C is excellent. We spent two weeks in Hawaii this year and had 13 Mantas on our night dive, we were able to snorkel with 21 dolphins on the Big Island then over to Maui where we saw whales from shore every day and on our dive three dives and heard the whales singing on every dive. But the reefs are not as pretty as the ones at T&C or cayman. We had a great time but the sparse fish life in Hawaii is not as good as T&C either. We did however have a great time seeing and hearing some of the big animals, you might say diving can be be like a comparison between a peach and an apple, both are good each just has a different flavor.

Great report! I miss T&C as it's been over a year since I've been there and I am not sure when I am getting back. :( We usually stay at ocean Club East and we love it there.

Were Ian and sarah still part of the dive cew?

12 foot Tiger. e-gawds!?! Where were you when you saw that monster?

We were on the boat when we saw the tiger. Two of the DM's and I were grabbing fins and snorkeling gear to jump in when Fifi pulled away! I didn't give a second thought to jumping in the water with a 12 foot tiger but maybe Fifi did what was best.

Hi Tim,

I knew you were on the boat, I actually ment where was the boat! Out by French Kay, outside the marina.....

Sorry, I should have been more clear!

We were about half way between French Cay and South Dock in 8-10 feet of water over sand. I was surprised to see such a big shark in shallow water.

Thanks, Tim,

I always appreciate reading your posts, and we've got T&C on our short list, in part for the beach for our non-divers.

And lesson learned about seats. I always try to select our seats when making our reservations & I will definitely not overlook that step in the future.

thanks again, alashas http://honeymoon2.smugmug.com/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom