Turks & Caicos Dive Ops and Hotels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Giotto

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm considering Turks & Caicos for a dive vacation with my non-diving wife. I'm looking for suggestions regarding dive operations and hotels. Most of my diving lately has been in Cozumel so I'm probably spoiled in terms of convenience but it sounds like you can spend quite a bit of time getting to the dive op depending on your hotel. Also, it seems that almost all of the hotels are suites (eat in kitchens) and when we vacation we like to leave the cooking to the pros. Does this mean the island is lacking in good restaurants? So far I've been focused on Provo but I'm looking for any and all suggestions. Thanks all!

Captain Don

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on this post below? I'm going to Turks and Caicos in November with my parents, sister and brother in law. I'm the only serious diver in the family but I hope to at least dive every morning and most afternoons. I want some place where I can come back and have a quick lunch and be back for dinner and the evening with the family. They are ok with my diving since they just sit on the beach. I have my AOW and I'm into macro underwater photography so tend to enjoy the shallower dives although just being in the water makes me happy!

I hope there are some suggestions out there!

I'm considering Turks & Caicos for a dive vacation with my non-diving wife. I'm looking for suggestions regarding dive operations and hotels. Most of my diving lately has been in Cozumel so I'm probably spoiled in terms of convenience but it sounds like you can spend quite a bit of time getting to the dive op depending on your hotel. Also, it seems that almost all of the hotels are suites (eat in kitchens) and when we vacation we like to leave the cooking to the pros. Does this mean the island is lacking in good restaurants? So far I've been focused on Provo but I'm looking for any and all suggestions. Thanks all!

Captain Don

Bounce your plan against the reality of diving from Provo and you might find it hard to do.

The best diving from there is the remote southern islands/cays and those trips typically don't return until early/mid-afternoon. And are the better diving so more likely to occur. If you found someone who only dove the areas north off Provo (Grace Bay, NW Point) it's possible those trips would return earlier so you might be able to figure out a way to do a quick lunch and another dive - Dive Provo for example has a single tank 2PM dive. As far as I know, Beaches is the only one that usually dives that area - on the off-chance you're staying there.

You can see the scheduling issues here:

Boat Dives | Dive Provo
Daily Group Diving - Reserve with CaicosAdventures Now!

There's other options on Provo also, Flamingo Divers and at least one more that I can't remember the name of. So maybe it's possible. It seems like most/all operators for both islands are listed here: Scuba Diving and Snorkeling in Turks and Caicos Turks and Caicos Tourist Board

If you do go out to West Caicos/French Cay the macro seemed to be in the big coral heads near the moorings. Lots of small fish, crabs, feather dusters, etc. A photographer was on our boat and I often saw him under one. And he showed us some really good shots - most of it under an inch long. Lots of sharks/rays at French Cay also - I predict you'll see 3-4 on every dive - we did - often more. Not a lot of divers get out there so they pretty much ignore you - I like that. Also turtles, cuda, grouper, big lionfish and possibly dolphins. We heard them once off West Caicos.

I have only been to Provo diving once. Loved the diving but did not seem like the place to try to get more than one boat dive trip a day and expect to get back later than other places. On our three days of diving going to Grace Bay to dive we returned around 12:30-1 PM, on our trip to West Caicos 2-3 PM and on our 3 tank to French Caye 4:00 PM. Sharks on every dive. Highly recommend the 3 tank trip if you have the time and like being out on the water most of the day. Best diving was West Caicos but all was very good.

Thank you to both of you for the responses. This is good information to know and unfortunate that so much time is spent away... that being said I'll see how well I can negotiate going out as much as I can as I don't get to dive often and I hear the diving is amazing there! I hope the "it's a once in a lifetime" opportunity argument works! :)

Ocean Club West is a great hotel. Walking distance to Dive Provo, which is a phenomenal op. Perfect combination IMHO.

Oh, and Jimmy's Dive Bar is in between the two :D

You might consider Grand Turk. The Osprey Beach Hotel is a great place to stay and Oasis diving is a great operation to go with. You walk 2 minutes down the street to get there. Oasis takes care of your gear for you. Trips are so close they do the intervals back at the beach so you can dive as much or as little as you like during the day. Done this twice and loved it. My wife is a non-diver too and she really likes that hotel as well. The beach often had no one but her or maybe one other couple. You do not need a car. You can walk to the grocery or town if desired. Very low stress with lovely diving. Go in winter and hear the whales sing while you dive and watch them spout from shore sometimes.

Just back from Grand Turk.
Wall 300 yards from the beach and nice well preserved coral but very little fish life. Did 10 dives and biggest things were parrotfish ( and a few turtles). Disappointing if you have done a fair amount of diving in theBahamas or Caribbean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom