Tulum anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know of several single American women in their 20s and 30s who live in Tulum for the diving. They swear it’s safe, but I think they’re crazy.

I got back from two weeks in Tulum about an hour ago.
My mother started calling me when she read about the shootings. She was adamant that I should come home immediately.
My response was pretty simple. They have had two shootings in the last month. Getting on a plane and flying home to Detroit to avoid shootings didn't seem like a solid plan.
It is still great diving and a wonderful place to visit.
That said, it is constantly changing. This was my first trip since Covid started and the town has grown a massive amount in the last two years.

I got back from two weeks in Tulum about an hour ago.
My mother started calling me when she read about the shootings. She was adamant that I should come home immediately.
My response was pretty simple. They have had two shootings in the last month. Getting on a plane and flying home to Detroit to avoid shootings didn't seem like a solid plan.
It is still great diving and a wonderful place to visit.
That said, it is constantly changing. This was my first trip since Covid started and the town has grown a massive amount in the last two years.
The growth is crazy isn’t it. We have only been back once s since COVID and it was a bit of a shock. I miss the old tulum

I've read the recent articles, I was in the area cave diving in 2016 and 2017. Back then saw some "street busts" in Palay de Carmen where the Feds were being backed up by the Mx Marines, full combat/tac gear. You dont see that normally for a street level police action.

Worse for the area will be the new airport MX wants in Tulum, and the new train. More people, more crime, more sewage. Even without increased crime, that area will become one big septic tank if it keeps growing.

Worse for the area will be the new airport MX wants in Tulum, and the new train. More people, more crime, more sewage. Even without increased crime, that area will become one big septic tank if it keeps growing.
Prioritizing an airport and a train in a region with almost no effective waterwater treatment, where you can't flush TP in a toilet, where there is no clean drinking water, and where garbage is just dumped in the jungle (upstream) without any lining to isolate it from the groundwater...

In a swift decade or so (a few are already) the reefs will be dead with nutrients and the caves will be like swimming in septic systems - and we'll all complain how it went to hell. Gun violence and cartels are just one more insult.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom