Tulum anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Jim Wyatt

Hanging at the 10 Foot Stop
Staff member
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞

Still safer than Detroit, right @Tracy?

There is a huge police and military presence in Tulum right now because of this.

Biggest worry I have over this is that it was not the typical “2am in a bad spot” shooting. Middle of prime dining and drinking hours down here.

It is certainly sad these types of things happen. Condolences to the family and loved ones. Would be better if these shooters were far more accurate - that would help the real problem.

Still safer than Detroit, right @Tracy?

There is a huge police and military presence in Tulum right now because of this.

Biggest worry I have over this is that it was not the typical “2am in a bad spot” shooting. Middle of prime dining and drinking hours down here.
Actually sounds more like Chicago with the nice(r) areas being invaded by the gangbangers. And everyone getting shot.

I read this article yesterday. My family visited Tulum in 1994, it was really a charming, beautiful place back then. Breaks my heart that this is happening everywhere :(

I read this article yesterday. My family visited Tulum in 1994, it was really a charming, beautiful place back then. Breaks my heart that this is happening everywhere :(
Tulum today has no relationship with Tulum in 1994.

Tulum today has no relationship with Tulum in 1994.
This I believe. The last time I was there was May 2018 and I remember the DM showing me .50 bullet holes in the sides of local businesses from the previous weekend on our way to the cenotes... Can’t say we’re planning a trip back anytime soon.

Tulum is definitely growing and changing, not necessarily for the better. There are 3 reasons: 1) US websites keep pushing tulum as the ideal vacation destination bringing tourists (which isn't necessarily always good) 2) covid sent alot of digital nomad workers to tulum bringing more people and problems 3) the fight over the cartels in other areas is heating up so the cartels are moving ops over to the QR where there is less police/military presence.
As for being afraid of tulum, I hope people are and they stay away. The quaint liittle town I fell iin love with 12 years ago is changing too fast imo. I'd like to see less people go and therefore things slow down.
As for reality, I still feel safer in tulum than I do in most US cities. I grew up in new orleans where the murder rate was about 500/year before I left for college. The minimal violence in Tulum doesn't scare me. Living in Florida now, I'm more likely to get shot at by a road rager or killed by an 80 year old woman still driving a huge boat of a car than I am shot in tulum.
We planned to buy a house in Tulum a few years ago but held off. I'm glad we did because originally Tulum was a place I hoped to retire to one day. WIth the changes I've seen from the influx of idiotic american tourists, I don't think I'd want to live in Tulum full time now. But the cartel violence doesn't affect my decision.

We were in Tulum from November 23 to December 30 2021. Had a great vacation with beach and cave diving. Never felt unsafe. Walked through the busy tourist part of town, ate most of our meals in that area, parked our rental car in the area and never had an issue. Planning a month in either Jan or March 2022.

In my day job, I've been in law enforcement for 22 years and have worked homicide for 10 of them. I also own a protection services company that does international travel packages for high-end clients. All of Mexico, including Quintana Roo and all of the Riviera Maya area, have high threat profiles. I'd still go there to dive in, say, Cozumel, but mainland QR is off the list for personal travel for us right now. This wasn't always the case. It used to be just certain areas in MX or if you were hanging out in the local clubs.......the cartels are taking hold elsewhere now. This isn't MX of 20 years again....or even 10 years ago. Just be careful and I'd recommend staying on resort property if you choose to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom