Tuk Tuk's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sue Sue

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just wondering if the Tuk Tuk cars are still on the Island ? We have not seen them for quite awhile. They used to be rented from what is now the Electric Bike shop below the Palmar Condo's. BTW- DH and I rented the electric bikes last year for a trip around the island. The day was fun and We hope to rent them again on our upcoming trip.

Double S

haven't seen one of those in years!

The Tuk Tuk man got tuckered out and left.

Another woman was run over and killed on a bike (electric) over the weekend. Same day someone else hit the wall on a moto at the Puerto de Abrigo and died. Riding a bike or moto on the island is not safe for the people who are not accustomed to riding them in traffic, which by the look of it, includes most tourists who rent them.

I read that two people died when they hit the wall, and that there have been other accidents at the same place.

Yeah, her husband died a few days later, I think. There have been MANY people miss that curve over the years. They could paint a little skull and crossbones for each one on the wall, but I doubt it would make anyone more careful.

It is not only that curve that is dangerous; the woman on the bike that died the same weekend ran a stop sign and got broadsided. Not being careful and thinking that because its "only" a bike or moto makes it not as dangerous as driving a car in Mexico is crazy.

It seems many tourists leave their brains at home when they go on vacation in Cozumel. The way some of them ride their rental bikes, wobbling all over the place and stopping with their feet because they forgot how to brake, makes it is clear they don't ride a bike regularly at home. Dodging traffic in Cozumel is much differenton than riding a bike path in a park or a quiet neighborhood. And the people who haven't been on a moto in twenty years (or more) think nothing of getting on one (with their wife or girlfriend on the back) and riding in traffic in an unfamiliar Mexican town.

By the way, the rules for the old road on the east side have changed. Now, the old road next to the water is ONLY for bicycles; no more motos. They cops are ticketing motos that drive on it. On the old highway on the west side, south of El Presidente, the goofy rule of "one-way southbound for cars and one-way northbound for bikes and motos" stayed the same.

I learned about the one way the hard way coming back from money bar after closing time. There was a road block and I was pulled over along with another car that followed. One cop went to each car. I started talking my way out of trouble by acting like an ignorant tourist and pulling out my big yellow map and saying no comprende. The other car had some loud people and drew the attention of the cop at my car who told me to turn around which I did before he could change his mind. Lesson learned.

If I am on a bicycle, I try to ride on the malecon, on sidewalks, the path up north or on 15^th to get around town. I also bring and wear a helmet and strobes.

The bike path up north is the only place I ride my bike…back and forth if necessary but little or no risk.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I will add, insomuch the electric bikes are fun, you also need to be aware of the risks involved. Helmets, following traffic rules, drive defensively.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom